Tire of this

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 52 year old male. Diagnosed little over 2 years ago with rheumatoid arthritis. So far have taken Celebrex,sulfasalazine,prednisone, methotrexate naproxen and ultram. Dr recently decided now is time for enbrel. Hurt all the time and so tired all the time. Takes forever to go to sleep. Nauseous for days after taking methotrexate ( take 20 mg once a week.). Pain seems to be getting worse. Any reviews of enbrel a day are there other options to ultram? Barely can function anymore.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed a year ago.  Took prednisone and gained another 30 pounds!  Was on sulphasalazine which didn't seem to help.  Used methotrexate but found interstial lung disease.  Cardiologist wanted me off because I was having severe swelling.  Have been on Enbrel almost a year and it is working great!  Although last week I injected sureclick into blood vessel and had bleeding.  Wondering if Enbrel was ejected because this week I am having issues with wrists and fatigue.  This is the only thing I'm taking along with vitamins.  I continue to have swelling in hands.  It's not normally painful.  I use the sureclick and it is quite easy.  It stings quite a bit but it doesn't last very long.  Cost is enormous!  With my insurance I pay $200 for a 90 day supply.  The going rate is over $10,000!
  • Posted

Thankfully got approved for disability and Medicare also approved for help w enbrel from the manufacturer. Biggest worry I have about it is immune system weakening. Talks to one lady she said she caught everything that came along. Also said the injections with sure click were extremely painful
  • Posted

If you go to encourage foundation on the web you can apply for assistance with the cost. The people there are very helpful
  • Posted

Turned 58 recently and went to Enbrel in May of last year. Had been on methotrexate since 2011 or so. I guess I'm in remission because I feel pretty good. I don't sleep all that great, but figure its something else. I'm not pain free but am capable of doing a great deal of what I would have previously paid for with pain and cramping for several days. Kind of like a commercial I noticed on the tv. A door knob was challenging. If I could, I'd hope that someone else would open it. I am very happy with my state right now. My doc insisted on flu and pneumonia shots so I did, but I feel I'm healthy. I eat good and not overweight. Yes, the shots are a nuisance, but I can deal with a few seconds of that. Good luck! Post your status sometime in the future.

M

• Posted

I too make a point to get flu vaccine.  I also have had the pneumonia vaccine.  I try to keep away from people that are sick, don't know how my immune system would handle another bug!  If I feel like I might be at the beginning of a cold I head straight for the Zicam!  Haven't had a real cold in probably 4 years!  A previous smoker, I always end up with severe bronchitis!  Before I was  diagnosed the bronchitis turned into pneumonia!

Good luck!  Praying for the best for you!

• Posted

Enbrel is very effective. It is a biologic which can make a huge difference.some of the other things you are taking are just painkillers and won't hold back the disease .

Your rheumy shoukd be able to help with methotrexate nausea too, either by changing how you take the dose, or when you take the folic acid which counteracts nausea, or failing that have mxt by injection.

hang on in there as many people find beginning a biologic is the beginning of a significant improvement.

• Posted

For the nausea have you tried taking half dose in morning and other half in evening.

I have tried 3 biologics and none worked for me.

I take amytripyline and that helps me to sleep so no longer waking up all the time in pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.