Tired and stretched....

Posted , 6 users are following.


I have just been diagnosed with PE and am on riveroxoban 20mg tablets having had two injections and a 3 week course of tablets at 15mg dose 2x day having found the clot nearly 5 weeks ago. I've taken things as steady as a mum with two young children (5 yrs and 8 yrs) can by taking the past 5 weeks off work and doing what I can when I can housework & exercise wise. Stress is high we're renovating the house, my husbands dad's recently passed away and I'm running my own company. However I've just returned to work and only 2 days in I'm tired, breathless and tight chested. Is this normal?

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

  • Posted


    i was diagnosed with a PE in January whilst abroad.  After injections I also started with Riveroxoban but changed to another anticoagulant as I felt very dizzy, now realise this is a common side effect.  I have just finished my six month course so off meds now.  

    I felt stressed as I was not given much info from my GP but once referred I managed to get reassurance that I wasn't going to peg it soon. 

    You will learn from this forum that symptoms vary from person to person.  Mentally I am normally strong but became full of anxieties, I still suffer from overwhelming tiredness and have found drinking a lot of water helps. I did get breathless easier but walked a few miles a day and it improved. 

    I also still get occasional pains on my side and back where I had the clot and am told that is normal. 

    In some ways you are so busy you don't have time to worry but think of yourself sometimes and relax your body needs to get used to the meds.

    good Luck, I hope my little bit helps a little. 


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Oh, your poor kid. I have my embolisms at 64. I'm retired, my kids are out of the house and my husband is terrific.  I feel blessed every day that this happened NOW and now when my kids were young. I don't know how you do it.  

    I can tell you that the shortness of breath is normal, normal, normal and from everything I read, it will be with you for months until the clot is absorbed by your body. It seems to be a slow process. The tightness will come and go but as time goes by, it will abate, too.  The good thing is, you're diagnosed and  are being treated!   

    You're tired because it's an effort to breathe.  Go to bed as early as you can -- I know you can't take a mid-day nap (a luxury) but love yourself as much as you can

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi i too was diagnosed in june 2016. I have three children aged st the time 4ys,8yr and 11yrs.. i had surgery end of April which resulted in the two clots i have in my left lung.

    I still have some really bad days.. but also a few good.. i had to give up my job as i was so poorly and i too feel anxiety (previously had anyway) i worry when i get pains in calf and chest.

    Im having to wear the compression stockings for the next two years aswell.

    I struggle day to day with tsking children to school as stockings make walking up hill harder i find.

    Im on apixaban had two tablets twice a day for first week...

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thanks for getting back in touch Laura and sorry to hear about your experience.' Sounds pretty bad. Thankfully I don't have to give up work and don't have to wear the funky stockings either. Consultant today said though I need to think about making a decision between HRT and taking riveroxoban all my life. They still have no idea why I've contracted the clot bit suggest it could have been through the combined pill.??

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Yep.. i was on combined pill plus apendix surgery equals very very high risk...

      If they had said i would have stopped taking it as only use it for heavy periods.

      I wear the heavy duty stocking in day and still on hospital green on night

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    My PE's were diagnosed almost the exact same time as yours.  Same course of treatment also, and I spent 7 days in the hospital.  Went back to work the 3 days later.  From what I know so far it all sounds like a normal recovery.  My cardio team (They found that my clots originated in my groin.  I was 2 weeks post hysterectomy) tells me that PE's reek havoc with our vascular system.  I have been so tired they even tested me for anemia.  Labs came back normal.  I think this is just my 'new normal' for a while.  This recovery process is slow, and it's taxing on the body.  Plus you have a lot on your plate.  Rest when you can.  Everyone keeps telling me to slow down and take care of myself.  It's hard when you have other relying on you.  Hang in there and keep me posted on how you are feeling. 

    Well wishes!


    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up