Tired but trouble sleeping

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I've been on fluoxetine for over 2 weeks now. At first I was ok, a little tired in the day but I could sleep right through the night with no problems.

The past few days I've had some good days and not napped through the day as I've felt good (emotionally and physically) but then as of Sunday night the tiredness knocked me. I'm really tired all day and when I get to sleep at night I wake up every few hours and struggle to get back to sleep, meaning I'm more tired in the day again

I take my tablets at night time as it helped a bit more than in the morning

Has anyone else experienced this? If so could the doctors help or do you have any natural ways of overcoming it?

Thanks,

Leah

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Leah. I have just woken from a nap because I was so tired!! I have been on Fluoxetine for 15 years and in my experience you do get times where you have lots of energy and then others when you could sleep a lot. I also go through periods of yawning. Quite intense for a few minutes non stop and then it suddenly stops.

As you have only been on them two weeks your body is adjusting and trying to establish itself to the new meds. It will even out over time. They are designed to "chill" you out so rest and sleep when you can.

I also take mine at night as I find these work better for me.

Hope this helps.

Big hugs.

Helen.

• Posted

Thank you Helen :-)

I was warned about being tired and I was tired for the first few days, then I had the good few days but now I'm tired again I feel like I'm back to square one!

It's giving me no motivation to do anything which is really annoying! I have the doctors this evening so I will mention it to her and see if she has any advice

I feel like I'm going round in circles!

Leah

X

• Posted

Hi Leah, if you have only been on fluoxetine for 2 weeks your body is still adjusting. Iv been on fluoxetine just approaching 10 weeks & slept 18 hours a day initially & still felt exhausted. I felt improvement at 6 weeks & although now im still tied on times I feel so much better. Try & go for a walk I found this helped a lot even though I really didn't want to go.

Its early days for you yet, but stick with it things really do get better with time.

b

Take care

Katie x

• Posted

flu takes six weeks or so to kick in I have been on them about five weeks but still feel so tired and depressed I just hope I satrt to feel better soon.

take careĀ 

• Posted

Thank you both

I went to the doctors and she did say feeling this tired was normal, however I forgot to mention about not being able to sleep at night, or if I do sleep I wake up and can't get back to sleep

Does any one know of any medicines or natural remedies that are allowed with fluoxetine? I don't want to make another appointment just for this!

Thanks

X

• Posted

Hi leah

Sorry to hear you are suffering. Im afraid yes the insomnnia is normal especially in the first weeks. It took me til around wks 6-8 to start feeling physically better but still had disturbed sleep.

You almost have to accept feeling crap for a while to get somewhere. Im around wk 18 now and have been feeling great for 4-5wks so its been a long time but has been worth it and I still have little sleep now (5-6hrs max).

I have taken sleep aid to help at times, check with a pharmacist what you can take but it helped me. Best thing to help sleep is exercise though I know its the last thing you feel like doing when youre pooped but it really does help.

It takes time, be kind to yourself and dont try to rush it. If the lack of sleep gets really bad ask your dr, they can usually offer sleeping tablets of some kind short term.

Hope you feel brighter soon

Vix

• Posted

Thank you Vix!

I know you have to accept feeling crap, I've always just got up and got on with things so to have something like depression hold me back is really hard to come to terms with! I'm still struggling

However, after all that worry last night I actually had a really good nights sleep, I only woke a few times and wasn't awake for long and I haven't had a nap today! Weird how it comes in waves

Hope you are well :-)

Leah

X

• Posted

Hi leah

Great you had a good nights sleep, can make all the difference!

I know what you mean, im a "doer" and usually organise everyone else n have a house full but had no motivation to do any of that for six months. My friends n family hardly did a thing cos noone else organised anything. ..haha :-)

Its really hard but you may just have to take a step back for a while n let others get stuff done instead of you.

Hope you sleep well tonight again, if not ill be awake by 530am reading this forum :-) im gonna try drinking gallons of water tomorrow like another posts suggests though as I already have to get up at least once in the night to wee im not sure it will help sleep!!!!???

Take care n take it easy

Vix

• Posted

Thank you :-)

Less of a good night last night!! 12.30-3 then 4-6.30! I'm reaallllyy tired now haha, hoping that ill have a better night tonight - wishing my life away just for sleep!!

I read the water post, sounds like a good idea, let us know how it goes!

Hope you're well :-)

Leah x

• Posted

They say every hour you sleep before midnight is worth two of every hour after, maybe worth getting earlier nights n just getting up early when you wake n doung stuff then - I drive my husband bonkers putting washing machine on at 5am or worse, going mad on Internet shopping :-)
    • Posted

I was in bed for 9.30 just couldn't get off to sleep!

Haha washing at 5am wow!! I think I will get up and read next time

I have a wedding all day tomorrow so I'm hoping I get a good sleep tonight!

• Posted

Hi Leah

I have a similar problem . I can get to sleep

No problem but wake early roughly 2 hrs

Before I'm supposed to get up

I spoke to my doc about this problem today

And he prescribed amitriptayline 10mg

Seemingly this helps with sleep although its main purpose originally was for depression

Also some of your problems could be that your being kept awake by taking your meds at night rather than the day I may be wrong, but flux is one of the more energy stimulant type of drug rather

Than being like a sedative

Best of luck

Daz

• Posted

Hi Daz,

The doctor advised I take them at night as they made me really tired during the day, I can sleep at night they don't keep me from falling asleep, they just disturb my sleep a lot!

I have another appointment in a few weeks so I will mention it then if it hasnt settled

Hope those extra tablets help for you :-)

• Posted

Hi Leah! I have been on Flu for about 4 months now. I also experience the same sleeping problems as you. I always toss and turn and wake every hour or two.. it almost feels like my brain is full of energy but my body is not. I have also found that I have extremely realistic and vivid dreams. Its quite disturbing because its hard to distinguish between dreams and reality (now that makes me sound somewhat insane, but i can assure you im not). Does anyone else experience this wierd dream vs reality issue?
    • Posted

Hi Kitty,

I understand what you mean about brain being full of energy but not the body! I'd do anything for a full undisturbed nights sleep now!!

I have also experienced the dreams. They've not been as confusing between reality/dreams but they've been pretty realistic which has caused me to question myself and the only reason I know the answer is because they're all about stuff that has recently happened and not changed. I understand what you mean about being insane too, I've had to ask family members about some of the stuff to make sure it was a dream! Haha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.