Tired in the late afternoon, do i have a bad sleeping patern?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am always really tired and feel i have no engery especially during the late afternoon and dont fully feel awake until around midnight. I was wondering if my sleeping pattern is the reason for this. I am on and off the computer pretty much all day and i dont usually stop until i go to bed between 2 - 3am then i usually force myself to wake up between 10:45 and 11am. I seem to be getting enough hours sleep but i feel worse in a morning then i did before i went to bed. Do you think this could be due to my sleeping pattern?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ben 

i am in roughly the same boat as you ....except I get up at about 9 ...some nights recently I go up to bed at 10 but still playing on my iPad at 1 in the morning...find it very hard to put it down..

• Posted

Hi Ben, I rather think you've answered your own question!wink
  • Posted

Hi Ben, I think there is pretty strong evidence that using a computer close to bedtime does have an effect on our sleep pattern. It stimulates the brain, making it hard to switch off. Try just reading a book for a few nights to see if that helps, not on a kindle either, as the screen light alters our pituitary response. If you can gradually bring forward the time you go to sleep, you will feel much better during the daytime. Marion
  • Posted

Ive read alot about sleep because I have insomnia...or HAD insomnia....melatonin is a "dracular" hormone secreted by a gland in our brains.....it starts releasing melatonin when it gets dark....around 9pm.....and gives off less and less as the hours go by...so it could be the reason...your not sleeping as well.....getting the REM when the melatonin is the strongest releasing earliest in the evening.
    • Posted

So I forgot to say...I go to bed at 12-1.....but now I take 10mg of Melatonin about 45 minutes before I want to sleep I have been sleeping like a baby....at least 5 hours at a time and wake up refreshed....I NEVER believed an OTC medication would help me sleep..since the prescription meds weren't helping me....try it....it may give you the melatonin you need and I promise you wake up refreshed.
    • Posted

Hi Misssy, can you tell me wher you buy Melatonin, and if it has a brand name? My brother has severe sleeping problems, which is why I am on this forum. I'm hoping to find something that will help him. Best wishes Marion
    • Posted

Well if you are in the UK.....it is a prescription medication.

I can't believe that because I can send a child into the vitamin isle in the US to buy my Melatonin! 

My Dr. also said it is the safest alternative vs. prescription sleeping pills or the OTC sleep aids (the ones they sell in the isle like Benadryl).   If your are in the US or anywhere else it is found in the vitamin isle.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Misssy, I'm in the UK, so I guess he'll only get it on prescription then. A shame, because I'm sure it would help him. Marion
  • Posted

You sleep cycle is all off. try turning off every electronic device by ten every evening. Read a book or anything but no computers or any tech products. The light on the screen confuses your brain too. Give it a solid week before your body can adjust to nothing after ten. I have no clue on your vitamin levels, but vitamin D levels are most likely low. Deep sleep is needed to feel refreshed, doesnt go by actual amount of hours. Someone can sleep deeply and peacefuly for six hours and feel great and another can be in bed ten but toss and turn or have issues that awaken them and they do not get the rem part enough to get refreshed. Your age isnt mentioned if you are in a university and you are doing homework maybe start a bit earlier and at best stop at eleven. You can always read books, better then starring into a tech device and no bright light confusing your brain. The book will probably bore you a lot quicker too. 😀
  • Posted

Hi Ben, as this is a forum for Atrial Fibrillation I'm not sure you have this as you've not stated. If you have then the condition itself can make you tired, I get extremely tired late afternoon but as I work full time I have to ride with it.

Anyone remaining on a computer an hour or so before bedtime will remain alert so perhaps you should think about coming off earlier.

• Posted

OOps I've just realised this is a sleep forum!Sorry Ben! anyway my advice for coming off computers earlier still stands smile
  • Posted

Hi Ben, are you still having this problem? i have a similar problem to yours where i feel super exhausted when i wake up in the morning. Hope to hear back from you soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.