Tired of being in pain from what feels like acid reflux

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

For about a month now, I have been experiencing symptoms on and off what does feel like acid reflux. About a month ago, I ended up passing a kidney stone. Naturally, that put my body through a lot of physical trauma. So, during this time, I was having some bad burning in my stomach and my stomach kept making this weird sounds everytime a bad burning sensation came on. It felt like my stomach was kind of expanding with a bubble of acid or something then would make this sound like it was exhaling. Very strange.

Anyways, my appetite eventually came back and I was eating normally. All of a sudden then, it is back this week. The same feeling started on Monday before I was going to eat. After I ate, the sensation became even worse. Unfortunately, I was in public with my family so I had to push through it.  It eventually stopped when I got back home.

It came back yet again on Wednesday and this time it was absolutely awful. Intense burning in my stomach, feeling as if food was stuck in my throat and bad gas pains. I ended up finally falling asleep after taking these chewable tablets for nausea. On Thursday, the feeling was alright. I did not have much of an appetite, but I had managed to be able to eat some food when I went out for lunch yesterday. When I got back home later that night, the burning came back, but it was more bearable this time and I was able to get some sleep. 

Today, as I am typing this, the burning is back and seemed to have started up after I ate. The bubbling in my stomach is here as well and keeps making odd noises. I had some pieces of cantelope, honeydew, and watermelon for lunch. I do not have much of an appetite and frankly have not since this started up. I had a BM(bowel movement) earlier and my stool was soft. I suspect this is because I have barely eaten lately. 

I went to my GP yesterday afternoon. He seemed not too sure what it could be, but he said that it could be acid reflux. So, he has prescribed me some omeprazole I am supposed to be picking up today at the pharmacy. Does anyone think this could be acid reflux or something else I should be concerned of?

I have had gall bladder issues before. At 11 years old, I was hospitalized for anemia and the doctors found that my gall bladder was having issues. I had gallstones, but the doctors have decided that I do not have them taken out or my gallbladder as it has not caused me issues since. I also had an ultra sound taken when the kidney stone was found and they said my gallbladder looked great. So, it could not be my gallbladder I think.

Any advice or feedback would be so much appreciated! I want to have an appetite back very badly.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,  Sorry i am sure  you don t wan to hear that, but best thing to do is go for endoscopy. good luck
  • Posted

Hi Rach,

sounds like it could possibly be acid reflux, the omepraxole should help to settle the acid reflux, I would be patient and let the medication work.

the medication should be taken 30mins before meals.

• Posted

Thank you for this. I will try that. Like the above poster said, if I do not feel any better significantly by the end of taking the medication, I honestly believe I will go and have an endoscopy done.

My mom actually gave me some milk to drink earlier and it's surprising as it helped me a lot to coat my stomach. I was actually able to eat a full dinner. The burning though is unfortunately back though. It's real mild though at the moment.

• Posted

it is so hard with gut issues - it could be anything from reflux, to a myriad of other things. Maybe have both endoscope and colonoscopy (we call it the up and under)! we are Australian - that is a term in rugby league. There are a few things in our family that have similar symptoms - Coeliac Disease, and another condition that requires a low FODMAP diet. If you have both scopes done it might help to work things out. Good luck it is a difficult time, but try not to stress - easier said than done I know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.