Tired of chronic sinusitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. I'm 30 years old and I've had ear issues since middle school. Nothing major, just congestion for about half of a year and the occasional ear infection. In college it started to become more chronic. I had to use flonase often to avoid feeling stuffy headed, but in the past 2-3 years my ears have been almost permanently stuffy with ringing and hearing loss, and now I have a kind of chronic fatigue that started about 6 weeks ago.

I'd mostly learned to live the hearing impairment as I've seen several ENTs/ phyicians/allergists and nothing I've ever been prescribed or reccomnded has ever really helped my inner ear, mostly just the ear canal. Anti-inflamatories, anti-bacterials , allergy meds, decongestants, neti-pots, you name it. My ear canal is fine except for some scarring from past ear infections.

As it's gotten progressively worse over the past several years (my hearing is about 60% when 5 years ago it was about 70%) along with constant stuffiness, popping (when I move my jaw a certain way), ringing and now fatigue, it's having an increasing impact on my quality of life and it's worrying. I had ear tubes when I was younger until I was about 20 when a doctor removed them, it feels like things were a bit better when I still had them in.     

I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with these kind of chronic symptoms and if there's any effective treatment or procedures that could really help? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your difficulties, I am a senior citizen with similar issues. My last visit to ENT was basically fruitless,

only offering was tuboplasty, a very expensive procedure which seems like Medicare is only insurance coverage. I signed up but never got my call returned. Meanwhile I found a Dr. Mandell on YouTube who has helped. His VLOG titled Tinnitus cure has helped me to keep my ear cleared. I suggest this to you, I have  intermittent 

Tinnitus and ETD. I use spray bottle to flush with saline as he states. While I have saline well wetted in nose I use theManeuver pinch nose blow with mouth closed until I experience the saline splash in middle ear which is a jolt

To ear drum. First time I was surprised with the sound but it worked. Once the saline drains my ear was open. This is not a permanent solution but now twice a day ritual and my bad ear is unblocked. Dr. M. States to practice this and it will work. I use sudefed and nasalcrom

As well and Flonase during  Allergy time. Any questions?

• Posted

Thanks Terry! I've been looking into other irrigation techniques other than just neti-pots and the method you mention sounds promising, I'll give it a try and see how it goes. If it doesn't help, I might try a sinus cleansing machine like SinuPulse

Has anyone had any luck with diet changes? I've been hesitant to completely give up dairy products, but at this point I might have to grit my teeth and give it a go. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.