Tired of long urinations taking my day away. Lately they have been 15 min to an hour.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Anyone else dealing with long urinations?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

There was a post on here a year or so ago where the sufferer stated that he was "tired of having to pack a suitcase to go to the bathroom". So yes, it's a common problem with BPH. Unfortunately, the options are drugs, surgery (of some type), or self-catheterization. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks so much. I am planning on having surgery in a couple of weeks. I really appreciate your support Light1. The long urinations are still there so can't wait....

• Posted

You're welcome, good luck with the surgery! Please let us know how it comes out.

• Posted

In my case it took about 3 months before I decided on a procedure after those 10-15 min pees.

I am assuming you already are on drugs. If not you may consider drugs and/or CIC if yes stay with CIC or start your research as to what maybe the best procedure for you given the particulars of your prostate and/or your personal objectives.

There is a lot of information and knowledgeable people on this web site to the different options you may have.

• Posted

Thank you Mark. I have an operation planned in a couple of weeks, so look forward to getting my life back.. You're right, this is a great website for knowledge and support.

• Posted

Hello Marky_Mark:

One suggestion, treat the problem, not the symptom. In other words, no band-aids, but rather a solution that gives you long-term benefits. Get smart and start studying everything about your body, the problem, and the solutions the medical world has to offer (not just what your Dr. practices or provides).

While the opinions and experiences will vary in this forum, I am anti self-cathing, or catheterization of any type. I understand as you wait for a solution you might have to endure a cath, but keep it as short as possible until you get your freedom back.

I am the exception to the rule on this forum. I did an invasive surgery and could not be happier.

Regards,

Dave

• Posted

Have you been to a urologist? Any idea how big your prostate is? I know that does mean all that much but I'm curious.

• Posted

In my case, the problem was getting worse for several years but I could usually get some out. I would guess maybe 80 ml or so; sometimes less after coaxing it out for about a minute. Then I began to notice leaks sometimes after trying. I could tell I didn't quite empty but I had no idea that I was probably retaining close to 400 ml every time I did that. Then after 15 minutes I'd need to go again, but I guess I kinda of learned to ignore it. Especially when I really didn't feel an urge to go like I used to. In fact, after an initial urgency to go; if I couldn't get to a restroom or do it in the bushes, the feeling seemed to go away; especially in the last 6 mo. It all came to a head with a bout of prostatitis. I went into complete retention when i saw the urologist. He wanted a sample and I couldn't get out even a drop. I had about a 80 minute car ride to get to him so that didn't help. After doing two rounds of antibiotics to get rid of the UTI, I was able to pee a small amount again but went into overflow incontinence and ended up wearing diapers for a time. My GP and I were hoping that my prostate was irritated because of the prostatitis and curing that would shrink it and thus fix my retention. It didn't.

I really don't think I would have the patience to stand in front of the toilet for that long. I probably would have seen a doctor by then. If you put a lot of pressure, like pushing, it can have bad physical consequences including causing the urine to be pushee back to the kidneys. Do you have a creatine score. That is a simple way to check your kidney function. Mine was going up until I began doing cic and then the scores went in the right direction.

• Posted

Not any longer. Like Keith, I went into full retention. Life sucked! Now, I step up and completely void in 3-4 seconds with a strong and forceful stream. I hit the water on purpose just to hear the sound. I also drink fluids all the time, including before bed.

I take no meds of any kind. My enormous prostate was measured at 265g by MRI with contrast. Not anymore. It is now gone. Not shrunk, squeezed, or "opened up." My bladder neck, nerve bundles, sphincters, and urethra are still there and never touched.

Dave

• Posted

I really think at this point that for me my problem isn't only my prostate. Bladder rehab is a big part of what was/is ailing me. I don't know if it will ever get better; I'm seeing some signs but its very gradual. My GP told me that my prostate was not that impressive just by doing a DRE. I've never had it measured. Something is obviously blocking me but cic is working fine for me now.

• Posted

Keith, I too think my main problem is a bladder problem. I had a Urolift almost a year ago but still have trouble peeing if the bladder feels too full, like if awakened at night or if I am trapped at the opera until intermission! I don't know what to do next, I feel kind of hopeless.

• Posted

Hi, Just want to throw my ideas in there because it may help you and others. I have been through the same problems, but 15 mins is beyond my experience....three mins was about my maximum or it just didnt happen and led to catheterization.

My problems are entirely diet-related.....so I deleted ALL of the following: Sugar, caffeine, alcohol (by the bucketfull !) any citrus, All dairy products, ALL fats and ALL oils and ALL acids. I use a level teaspoon of baking soda in 12 Oz of water during all meals. I believe that my pancreas stopped working and this has lead to an inability to digest most foods and this in turn leads to UTI......and urination problems. PH test strips help me to monitor urine acidity and I keep that level in the 7.5 to 8+ area at all times.

To help with prostrate deflation, I developed my version "prostrate massage" to reduce prostrate size before urination. This is done by placing a large soft rubber ball on a chair and sitting on it and rocking gently for 90 seconds. This (in my case) seems to temporarily reduce the massive size of my prostrate and allow urination to happen easily. My prostrate measured 75mm in its major dimension. This reduced to 65mm in the major dimension after 120 days of Finasteride and Tamsulosin tabs....hardly a reduction huh. Anyhow, p*****g is now under control, and according to tests, there is no current sign of cancer in there. I am just 16 days into a 50 day course of Prostalgene..... as an experiment, after which I will try Saw Palmetto tablets. When I finish the 50 days, I will have another ultrasound after I finish the Prostalgene to see if there was any benefits there......but I must add that 16 days of Prostalgene seems to be supplying positive results. These days, I can completely void my bladder. This is great because it helps to get rid of Uti effects. I cant guarantee my management methods, but I Hope this can help you and others. Cheers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.