Tired of pain and limping

Posted , 3 users are following.

I fractured my ankle posterior malleolus back on June 1st.  I spent two months in a boot.  I went back to work on August 23rd. This is my fourth week back to work in retail and I am still experiencing pain in my ankle and knee which leads to walking with a limp and making my feet really hurt by the end of my shift.  I still have swelling in my calf part of leg while the ankle is still normal.  Also have swelling or extra fluid around my knee.  I feel pain on the bottom part of knee where is connected to the leg bone.   I also can feel my knee popping when walking or getting up from a sitting position.  Sure wish I could stand up without have to hold on something and hobble around like an old person. Getting impatient to be to walk normally and go for walks and be able to ride my bike. Hate feeling like an old person when getting up from a sitting position. 

Glad I found this site where I can express my concerns with other people going through similiar situations. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth..Have you been given exercises to do by physio therapist? Calf, quad stretches should help to strength your ankle & leg. I have found doing these exercises regularly has helped. The swelling in your calf is normal apparently. Tubi grip would help to get the swelling down. It's a frustrating process isn't it, I would love to be walking normall again too...good luck

• Posted

Elizabeth,

I am so sorry that you are still having such discomfort.  I had a bimalleolar fx on July 24, surg 3 days later and am scheduled to go back 10/17 (though I will not as i am having another unrelated surgery on 10/13 sad)  But I cannot imagine going back even then.  I have just gotten the boot this past Tues after 7 weeks in a cast- and now I have an infection on the outer incision so have to keep leg up for the weekend and am on AB for 10 days.  I feel like I am going backwards.  

I also am up working on my feet - work in a dialysis clinic- and I cannot imaging even going back at all right now.  I know I will have to but seems like I have such a long way to before I can even walk.

I have been told that this injury can take up to a year and a half to heal completely... so am trying to be realistic about it.  I know all of this puts a lot more stress on your other joints and I wonder if part of your issues are related to that.  Have you had PT?  I will not start that untill I am out of the boot early November.  I am just doing ROM exercises here at home now.  

I love to walk- (was a fitbit addict), ride bikes, swim and kayak and like you, I dream of the day I can be active again!  I know it will get better.   

• Posted

Hi Eluzabeth,

This is a patient journey. I did all the things that you also loved to do before healing. I am first day in my regular shoe. Using crutches. Been working out at gym for past 6 weeks. In week 12 now. Abs, floors, abs, floors.........

This is a humbling experience for fit addicts.

• Posted

I am wondering if I am experiencing bursitiis in my knee?  If so, how do I treat it? 
    • Posted

Eliz, I have found this injury is very hard on all of your joints.  I have had knee, hip and lower back pain.  i have had hip bursitis for a few years being an avid walker and my age (59).  I have had several cortisone shots and they have always helped.  It is so awful now, I cannot sit down for more than 20 min before the pain starts so I am doing a lot of lying down.  

To answer your question- I would ask your ortho doc to assess your knee pain- and depending if it is bursitis or not- they may give you an injection.  Sounds like your knee is popping- could be something else, but a shot may help for a bit anyway.  Whatever it is I would definately get it looked at... I know....... this is an unending injury.... but it will get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.