Tired of the merry go round.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been off, and on, and off, and on, for so long.  I have tried to give up certain things, but dang, everything I love gives me the burn!  I have always loved a glass of OJ first thing when I get up.  I have taken to drnking a whole bottle of water before I even get out of bed, but still want my OJ.  I also love my black tea, peanut butter, chocolate, tomatoes, bread, you name it, it  burns.  When I am on Omeprazole, it is glorious.  10 mg, a day will do me fine.  But I keep stopping, going on Rantinidine, 150, but today, just had to take my second one, and likely will need another before bed.  Why?  Why does the one thing that works have to be so bad for you?  

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

And one other thing.  I have tried the vinegar, the probiotics, the digestive enzymes, the licorice stuff I can't stand the taste of, just trying to chew them up makes me nauseous.  Yuck.  

• Posted

These phyto remedies promoted by some often have little effect.
  • Posted

PPIs like omeprazole should not be used as and when. They need to be taken conyinuously at the lowest effective dose. Normal maitenance dose for omeprazole is 20mg. 10mg is very small dose. If you need to take them more than a few weeks, see a doctor.

Onrigger food particular to you. There's a lot of rubbish and propagated myth about banned food lists but, although possibly triggers for some, most people can manage orange juice and the other foods you mention.

Omeprazole is the most effective of the drugs you mention. But it needs to be taken pre-emptively every day to reduce the amount of acid your stomach makes rather than reactively, as with Tums, to combat acid already produced.

• Posted

Wish I could edit that post. Something went wrong with the formatting.

Second paragraph should start: "Only avoid trigger foods particular to you."

• Posted

As I mentioned, pretty much everything I love to eat and drink burns me.  I just don't know if giving up everything, and being miserable, is worth it.  I have given up pretty much altogether carbonated drinks, rarely do coffee, but everything else is just non negotiable.  I was on Omeprazole, or like drugs, since probably 1993, or thereabouts.  So, good Lord, you'd think if it was that bad I would have had some serious problem by now.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.