tiredness

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi - I have had a really stressful year or so, and already was knocked out for 2 months last year with stomach problems that kept going and going after I ate some bad prawns - the doc put the length of my attack down to 'stress' too... So, I got better from that but have been incredibly stressed again over the last 6 months. I'm trying to finish a PhD and had been anxiously waiting for a decision from the central university about writing off the time from when I was ill before (otherwise I was going to be kicked out!). I got more and more stressed because they took their sweet time about making the decision, and right before I actually found out it would all be ok, I got this PR herald patch. I thought it was ringworm picked up from the gym! (And had been going to the gym to 'relieve stress'!). I'm a couple of weeks in from the herald patch, but the giant rash really only got going a week ago... REALLY hope it doesn't last too much longer, but judging from other posts here, I have a while to wait!

Anyway, on the tiredness front - I had been going to the doctor a couple of months ago because I was so worried about how tired I was and how much I needed to sleep. I normally slept about 7 hours a night and was fine, and suddenly struggled to wake up even after 11-12 hours of sleep. At the time I thought it was maybe stress, but had a test for glandular fever and anaemia in case it was something like that. I was also really short of breath all the the time, and just felt 'odd' - I knew something was wrong! I think this is all related - I have read in a couple of places that shortness of breath and feeling like absolute s**t are often precursors to the rash, though I would never have linked them at the time (in fact I put shortness of breath down to unfitness and tookmyself off to the gym, which appears to have made the rash worse and I'm now not going to go for a bit!). At the time, the doc just essentially told me off for making life worse for myself by 'being stressed' - as if I have ultimate control over my emotions and the curcumstances which cause them!?! This was the same with my stomach problems and post-infective IBS last year... it seems that doctors who dismiss their patients with 'it's nothing serious' fail to understand how this makes the patient feel, because it's horrible and unsightly (and itchy!!) to have to go through. I really resent the attitude I'm getting from a couple of doctors at my practice who seem to suggest I brought it on myself. I'm doing my best not to be stressed, but then i just catch sight of the rash when I'm in the shower and want to be sick! sad It's even more galling that actually, things were looking up just as this started really taking hold, and I now feel totally blindsided by it. My confidence in myself has totally gone. My boyfriend is being really sweet and supportive, but I can barely stand him to hug me let alone anything else, because I feel so bad about how it looks and feels! Aaaarrrgghhh!!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Ooops, thought I was replying to a different post not starting a new thread!
  • Posted

Morning

Let me know which thread you thought you were replying to - and I will join them together

• Posted

2 months on: how has it gone? did it clear up and did uni sort itself?
  • Posted

Hi - I tink 'Knackered and Itchy' was me! I had the full on rash for about 5 weeks I think - finally wen... last few days been itching and am now petrified that I have a new patch appearing near the crease of my armpit (lovely). My boyfriend doesn't think it's 'it', but it itches the same, and though it's very small and looks like eczema, it isn't where I normally get eczema, and my old herald patch (on my tummy/hip area) started off just the same - a bizarrely itchy tiny patch of eczema-like rash. Am praying it isn't PR again :-(!! Will keep you posted... and yup, I was ill recently, with a nasty cold/flu bug, and have had headaches and been exhausted, etc!
  • Posted

Hi,

just found this site. My daughter has just been diagnosed and its real interesting that you got real tired.

Our daughter has had a kidney transplant ( almost 19 yrs ago) and over the last yr she has had times that she could sleep for days. Her kidney function is OK though.

We have had her checked for glandular fever, ross river virus and a host of other things. Also went to a neurologist and they thought it could be myesthenia gravis but it wasnt.

She can go to bed at 9:30pm and sleep until 11am the next day and then go back to bed at 1pm and sleep till dinner time.

She also started going to the gym to see if that helped with the stamina which it did seem to for a bit but now she has pityriasis rosea.

She is actually having a granny nap as I write this but I will tell her to try the head and shoulders shampoo !!!!! dont know about the thistle pills as we have to be careful with things clashing with her other meds.

I'm so glad I found this site.

Hope everyone reading this will become rash free in 09 !!!!!!!

Sue---from australia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.