Tiredness

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone having any tips on overcoming being so tired I'm totally shattered after a day at work and I'm struggling to get through the week at the moment.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Give yourself a break bro.

you have a lung diease that uses a LOT of energy. 

Imagine how hard your luungs are working? If you cough a lot also that takes it out of you.

what is you FEV1 and FVC?

are you eating well, lots of snacks?

also have you tried chinese medice- i find it helps with my energy, theycan make special formulas. 

Geez, i could not hold down a full time job if you put a gun to my head, i congratulate you on that.

good luck

• Posted

Yes I am eating a well balanced diet. On top of the Bronch I am type II diabetic. I got Bronc due to my old doctors NOT dispensing antibiotics when I had a chest infection and I cannot sue them as no one can take the case.
  • Posted

hey hello, yeah I can relate to your statement 100% sadly I don't have any answers as such, my work is quite physical in nature and I find that I'm having to work one day then rest one day! not ideal but being self employed I can do this. depending on your occupation perhaps your employer would be sympathetic to you working staggered hours depending how you felt that day? or win the lottery, retire to a tropical island (taking me with you) and live like a god forevermore. not very helpfull, sorry, but if you smiled, that's a bonus cheesygrin
  • Posted

make that three for the tropical island   ill supply beer and a boat.....   i too get tired  its obviously part of this  crappy condition of the lungs   Im a self employed builder and at 69 still working to keep my missus and the government happy, and there are days when i have energy  and days when i dont .i think  trying to relax about the  problem is important because  worry  laps up energy, and  makes whatever daily energy you do have less effective.   I do all my heavy manual lifting and carrying in the morning   and lighter stuff in the afternoon so planning is crucial.  i am most energetic first thing usually.  i exercise  by swimming which  helps with  oxygen distribution,  as my useful lung area is compromised i help it by deep breathing 5 minutes every hour when i can,  this  ramjets oxygen into the bloodstream  releasing   more energy.  im not sure suppliments work ie,  vitamins and hormones ect.  anyway i wish you well,  and  keep smiling if you can          
  • Posted

With lung disease, the oxygen level is low, so we tend to tire easily. As mentioned below, rest, rest, rest. I was dignosed in 2009 with Bronchiectasis,Tracheobronchomalacia or TBMthen, that stupid, stupid bacterium, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and it invited all it's friends and relatives to live in my lungs together as a colony.  There is no getting rid of any of this, but life goes on.

Coughing all night is another reason you are tired and then trying to work full time really takes a toll on folks in our situation. Your doctor should prescribe maybe a mild seditave for you to sleep better at night so you feel more rested. Another thing my doctor has me do is to walk at least 30 - 60 minutes 3/4 times week. This is so our lungs stay more active and keeps our oxygen level up.  He also prescribed the cough medicine Tussionex, a very strong narcotic cough syrup. Believe me, this stuff is a gift from heave for us. You can not drive while using it and do not take every day because you can get hooked on it. And, your cough will become immune to the effectiveness. if you take 1/2 to 1 teaspoon when you can no longer handle all the coughin, this will calm the cough (will not make you stop) but will calm it for about 12 to 14 or more hours.  If you take it at nighttime, then maybe you will sleep better. Worth a try.  

I'm not sure where in the world you live, but here in the United States, we have  The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). This is when we have the correct documents filled out by our doctors and we can not be penalized for missing work due to these types of serious illnesses. This also pertains to taking time off for taking care of family members. Grant you, you may not be paid for this time missed, but you can not fired either. Yes, it can be abused by those who are not really sick, but as long as correct documents are in place, they are safe. It's a vry interesting Act if you should want to read about it online.  

Good luch and keep in touch, this site has been so helpful for me. 

• Posted

We have DLA  - Disabilty Living Allowance I'm in the UK I was turned down but I am currently appealing for it as this is a result of pneumonia.  I had a chest infection and my doctors wouldn't give me antibiotics.  So I got pneumonia.
  • Posted

If you can do a days work, you are so much better than I am, I am shattered all the time and can manage no more than an hour each day. My only advise is that you learn to take it easy ! "all the time" and not just when you get home. Try to do thingsin new ways that take less energy, if you cannot, then you will have to do less hours. Hoping I have been of some use

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.