Posted , 4 users are following.

how do you get over the tiredness

Isleep all nighht ,coughing  quiet a few times

, and have a 2 or 3hr nap in the afternoon

but still tired

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would check in with your GP harli explain symptoms, check for chest infection etc.  To rule out sleep apnoea your doc may want to check you for this. Your doc will have to refer you to the hospital initially so you can be fitted with a 24 hour monitor that will measure your heart rate and blood oxygen levels as well as record if you are stopping breathing during the night resulting in poor quality sleep and day time tiredness.  You go back the next day to the hospital to have the monitor removed.  The monitor has wires that are connected to sticky sensor pads attached to your chest and back and the recording box is worn round the waste, there is also a finger monitor attached.

The results of the 24 hour monitoring will indicate if further tests are required.

If you are recently diagnosed with COPD or have deconditioned in any way you may also want to ask your doctor about a referral for a pulmonary rehabilitation course.

Lack of exercise due to tiredness can lead to deconditioning and a worsening of your symptoms.  Even if feeling tired its important to keep the exercise going.  A pulmonary rehabilitation course will help you get back to exercising regularly again and well as help you learn how to manage your symptoms properly.

Tiredness is a symptom of COPD due to breathing apparatus not working as efficiently as it could, but tiredness along with other symptoms of COPD can be managed.

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

A pulmonary nurse at rehab told us that  in some circles COPD is called the "tired disease" so some tiredness is to be expected depending on what stage you are in, but your tiredness seems very excessive.

Exhaustion and lethargy can be caused by issues as well as or other than COPD:  for example, sleep apnea has already been mentioned and this can be checked out with your GP.   I was checked for t his in an overnight sleep clinic, not with a 24 hour monitor as described in another post, so it seems there are different ways of diagnosing it in different places.

I'm wondering if you're on statins for high cholesterol or any other medication which could be causing your extreme tiredness?

• Posted

its severe copd,, lung function 21%

colestorol,, very low smile

will make an apointment with copd nurse then dr if needed 

we have a great copd nurse a out practice

• Posted

A lung function percentage of 21% would definitely make you tired.and I'm sorry but I have no idea what options (if any) would be available to you:  it's definitely something you should see your copd nurse about ASAP
  • Posted

Hi maybe you are sleeping too much?  Strange as it may seem this can make you tired as well.   Have you tried just resting more but with less sleep?  x
    • Posted

Sorry I didn't realise your lung function was so low.   No wonder you are so tired.   I agree with the advice to seek medical help to see if there is anything they can do.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.