tiredness after hip opp

Posted , 30 users are following.

Hi  All,

I wonder if anyone else has experienced extreme tiredness? I sleep for around 12 hours and I'm still tired, I have no energy at all, on the plus side my hip is doing good, I can walk without a stick, but my right hip is now giving me the same pain as the left did prior to the opp, I'm 8 weeks post opp on tuesday, the hospital put me on iron pills before the opp as I had a low red cell count, I realise this causes fatigue, but I only take them when I remember as they make me so constipated, and then I have to take meds for that!  I also have an underactive thyroid and they say I'm on the right dose, I have never had any of these health problems before, now it seems I'm falling apart, any feed back would be appreciated.

cheers,

Lynne.

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

im only 7 days from my surgery but get tired very Quickly.From everything i have been reading you need to just take it easy. This is a big shock on your body and it takes time.

• Posted

hi all.

I'm a 62 yo male who had a full posterior THR 5 years ago and spent two nights in the hospital, followed by about 8 in-home physical therapy sessions. I recall a pretty swift recovery and back to normal in a matter of months.

Fast forward to five days ago, I had my other hip done by the same surgeon - outpatient - although this time he used a “mini posterior“ approach AMAZING! Surgery was at about 10:30 AM and after three or four hours in the recovery room, I was discharged to home where I had a somewhat restless night of sleep but obviously still sedated somewhat from the surgery.

The next morning I was walking around the house using a walker but by afternoon I was walking 100% unaided by a walker, cane or crutches. today is day five and I continue to walk 95% pain-free. Of course I’m very careful getting in and out of bed and up and down out of chairs but if I’m thoughtful about the positioning of that leg, I’m able to avoid any serious pain.

I hate painkillers and so I’ve been nursing small amounts of the prescribed Vicodin and hoping today to be my last day of using narcotics. of course I’m on comfortable laying in bed or sitting but I’m very pleased with what I experience is minimal pain.

On the other hand, like many on this board I’mon the other hand, like many on this board I’m exhausted. I’m trying not to get discouraged and to listen to my body which is obviously focused on healing but I’m already a bit down about my lack of energy and feeling exhausted. I’m trying not to get discouraged and to listen to my body which is obviously focused on healing but I’m already a bit down about my lack of energy.

i’m sure the Vicodin is contributing significantly to having no energy but I’m only taking about 1/4 of the dosage. I’m trying to drink a lot of fluids and eat healthy. I hope my body can perform as well as the surgical procedure itself. After studying a lot about anterior , posterior and mini posterior approaches I’m convinced that the latter is superior in terms of recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.