tiredness after hip opp

Posted , 30 users are following.

Hi  All,

I wonder if anyone else has experienced extreme tiredness? I sleep for around 12 hours and I'm still tired, I have no energy at all, on the plus side my hip is doing good, I can walk without a stick, but my right hip is now giving me the same pain as the left did prior to the opp, I'm 8 weeks post opp on tuesday, the hospital put me on iron pills before the opp as I had a low red cell count, I realise this causes fatigue, but I only take them when I remember as they make me so constipated, and then I have to take meds for that!  I also have an underactive thyroid and they say I'm on the right dose, I have never had any of these health problems before, now it seems I'm falling apart, any feed back would be appreciated.

cheers,

Lynne.

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am so happy to read all of these comments. I am six weeks post op, right anterior total hip replacement, and have days where I am completely exhausted. I was starting to think there was something wrong with me. I am also experiencing a bit of post operative depression as it is difficult not to be back to normal with so many things yet. Walking is good, only use a cane while in public, just to make sure I maintain balance if I become fatigued, am jostled or am walking on uneven ground.

I travel a lot for work and have my first airplane trip next week, am worried it is going to exhaust me, but must push through.

Also having groin pain and odd pain in my butt cheek, one day it felt as though something was coming through the cheek. Look forward to feeling normal again.

• Posted

I am glad to read everyone's comments on fatigue. I am 8 weeks post posterior left hip, back to work past 1-1/2 weeks. Started half days but full time now after holiday and boy am I tired at night!  I also have had some groin pain and an odd butt cheek pain, almost like a pinching, only once in a while! Weird! Still not sleeping real good at night due to pain with some movement. Can't wait to feel normal again.

• Edited

I have never known exhaustion like it. I put it down to my body healing and needing every last reserve to get better. When you look at it like that then you are happy you are tired!

I was so so tired. I didn't want to see anyone, go anywhere, everything was a major effort. I did my exercises, spent my time resting and I had a really really good recovery. I felt better each day and by 3-4 months my energy returned to do 'small thing' and enjoy fresh air and walks again. By six months I was feeling much more like my old self and started enjoying going out with friends and having fun, by nine months I was pretty much back to normal but still finding some things wearing and one year I am me again and in a drive for a health and fitness. I am completely healed and now feeling like I can take on the world.

It was just the tiredness it was feeling so fragile. I felt fragile for ages, really quite vlumerable but it does go.

You will soon be your old self Lynne, now is your time to heal and feel quietness and restful days. Embrace the days, as once you have reentered the circus that is life, there is no going back easily - choose to enjoy your cocoon and comfort, when you are ready your body will naturally guide you to doing more gradually.

Diet and vitamins and rebuilding your strength is very important, as is the exercise and PT sessions, no matter how tired you are these must be done for your hip religiously, but apart from that take it really easy and don't worry about your other hip so much, mine was terrible too, it is the extra strain and should ease in time.

• Posted

Oh my gosh thankyou! I thought I was seriously sick. I'm 4 months post op. my fatigue is relentless. I kept pushing back thinking I should be able to do regular things with full energy. That didn't go well. My body just kept shutting down. The body fatigue really ramped up after my PT got more intense. Now I can barely do them . I didn't do them at all last week. after reading your post, I am soooo relieved and will start those PT sessions every other day. no skipping days or weeks. My diet isn't great either. gonna try to fix that. And most of all.....I'm going to listen to my body and rest in my cocoon. Thank you soon very much for easing my very troubled mind. oh....what supplements do you take. or did you take. ?

• Posted

Dear Lynne,

That is normal feel tired after 8 weeks. It will get beter with time. Im 7 months and still tired more than used to be. Im very active person but after

7 hours at work now much energy left but is better than whan I was 8

weeks after operation. Rest when you need it. Good sleep is heeling sleep.

Hug Madla

• Posted

im 10 ten years post op and i have bad triedness, cant sit in meetings without dropping off, training videos are the worst smile i still get pain with hip but nothing like before the op, i cycle as much as i can (25 miles aday) as cant sleep while moving and no pain while cycling.  wondering if the triedness comes because of the metal hip? also having metal levels checked every 6 months now 
  • Posted

Since finding this page I feel much better. I had left posterior total hip replacement 4 days ago. Came home the next day and am doing very well...on 2 narc meds every 4 hours until today where I changed to every 5 1/2 hours which seems to be fine. PT came yesterday and said i was so far above the curve she would probably discharge me before 2 weeks. I have been sleeping in a recliner as back sleeping bothers me. Today I cannot keep my eyes open, and have had several two hour naps and it is not yet noon! So evidently that is normal? I am doing my exercises and try to get up and walk around once an hour if I'm awake. Also have not had a BM since Wednesday, today is Sunday. I know the pain meds can mess you up but I have been taking laxatives. Thanks for any advice!

• Posted

Hi lynn so glad I found this site and your letter about tiredness after operation.I had a full hip replacement 5mths ago my hip is good but continuing to feel so exausted especially going to the shopping centre my energy levels  are awful at the moment I am taking iron but thought I’d feel much better by now is this normal do you think
  • Posted

Hello, I am 5 weeks today. I had a left posterior hip replacement and found the first two weeks so difficult, mostly because I had no sleep. Refused endone, disgusting. I was on panadol and that is all so I was sleeping in recliner most of the day. I am hard on myself, I do my exercises and then sit in recliner to watch television. Feel slack but I usually drop off to sleep. My motivation is to get back to work as sick leave doesn’t go on forever!!!! Love this forum it has been very helpful.
  • Posted

Morning I am 6 weeks and 4 days since my right thr I have always been super active but now at this moment I am so tired. I also thought am I being lazy. I walk over an hour everyday with my dogs. I have been doing this since 3 weeks post op. I sleep I just pray my energy comes back. Seeing surgeon today to see when he is doing my left hip. I wish you well. betwee 3 and 4 hours a night just cant sleep on my back.

• Posted

Hello Lynne

are you saying you have had two hip replacements within weeks of each other? i have just had my right hip replacement and cant seem to recover very quickly! I still dont sleep very well at night so needless to say i feel tired all the time! its now 6 weeks since i had the surgery. i have recently found out that I am having my second hip replacement on February 18th which I was very surprised at having it so soon after my first one, I thought perhaps they had made a mistake? however after reading your message I realise it is possible? I have an appointment on 29th January to have final check up on my right hip surgery, I will discuss it with my surgeon of course but at the moment I feel its too early as I feel my recovery is very slow with first! I want to get it all over of course but i thinks I need to be fit enough! I think you are amazing to have had both hips done so close together! I do hope you will be fully recovered soon and start living a normal life! BEST WISHES CYNDEY

• Posted

I am 3 weeks out from hip replacement surgery. I am so tired and bored , I only took pain meds for about 5 days as I had bad side effects form pain meds, and a UTI , I am amazed how good I am doing as far as my new hip socket feels. I take rapid release Tylenol for my pain. PT has over worked me and had a set back maybe 2 times, I am seeing my Medical Dr, to day to check iron level maybe a B12 SHOT and some collars and Beef steak will help. I am relieved to know that I am not alone, Thanks for all your shared stories good to know this is normal!!!

Joy from Ga.

• Posted

hi lynne i had a hip replacement 4 weeks ago i also have low thyroid or actually hashimotos some days i cant sleep and others i skeep for 12 hours like you my other hip is now hurting as well so you are not alone i havent felt well since the replacement maybe it takes time to heal seeing my dr in two weeks maybe he knows just wanted you to know your not alone

• Posted

I am so grateful for you all. I thought I've been going nuts. I'm only week 4 post-op from a left THR and I'm doing well, I guess. I'm an ex-dancer and so I'm used to pushing my body, but there's only so much pushing you can do. I'm walking with a cane but can also drop it and hold good form for about 20' feet, so that's good. However, I'm extremely tired and --- as I'm off all meds --- I couldn't figure it out. It makes me feel much better (sorry to celebrate your tiredness) to hear that that's a normal reaction. I always tell my friends, "listen to your body," and I know that I truly am tired as I sleep, which is highly unusual, mid-day. I even wondered, though I don't feel it, if I was depressed because of COVID. I've been alone in this house for many months, outside of some nurses visiting and a few friends.

I think (as some of you wrote above) I'm not getting great/perfect sleep at night but I've also decided - after reading what you all wrote - to not beat up on myself. I'm tired. I don't know why, but I'm needing a nap right now. I literally can't keep my eyes open. I'll look a the anemia, and am not a fan of green veggies, but I love spinach, zucchini and a GOOD salad, so I'll make that happen.

Thanks for helping me feel sane. Week 4, here we go...

• Posted

Just stumbled upon this site (no pun intended).

I am 4 weeks out tomorrow. I too am more tired than I normally am. I'm usually pretty active. I walk without a cane, but I carry it with me outside just in case. I have walked up to 2 miles without a cane and do PT 3 times/day. I also play my drums as much as I can - at least an hour/day to keep the blood moving, but racking out for 11 hours at night is not unusual and I still feel tired.

I also have another issue that popped up - I had the room spinning about 2 weeks ago. Extreme dizziness. It went away after a nap, but now I am in kind of a fog. Just a bit off balance and the Dr has no idea why. It's kinda scary and affects everything - makes driving interesting too.

Thought the tired was part of the dizzy issue. Maybe both are combined. Never felt quite right in the head post op. Tried to tell the Dr about it but he dismissed it as anesthetic which at 4 weeks is doubtful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.