Tiredness after my B12 injection

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had B12 deficiency for the last 4 years but I've recently found that my injections do not seem to be making a difference, this has only come to my attention the last 12 months.

My life style hasn't changed and I still eat well but I have noticed a loss of pigment in my skin colour and I am losing weight (slowly but I can notice it).

Any advice anyone has I will happily take on board.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I presume you are in the UK so most likely on hydroxocobamalin 1mg injections every twelve weeks. Unfortunately this "one size fits all" syndrome doesn't suit everyone and it is difficult to persuade doctors to increase frequency of injections.

The neurological symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency may include:

? Numbness and tingling of the arms and more commonly the legs

? Difficulty walking

? Loss of balance

? Hands feel gloved with loss of sensitivity

? Loss of vibration sense, having to look down to see where you are walking

? Unable to close your eyes and stand on one foot

? Night vision 

? Memory loss 

? Disorientation

? Dementia 

? Extreme mood changes

? Short term memory loss Do you have any of the above?

If you are having neurologicalm symptoms make a list of them and present it to your doctor. If possible take someone with you who can validate your neurological symptoms as the doctor is less likely to pooh pooh you in front of a witness.

I am not saying that this is an easy thing to do but try to stay calm, write out what you want to say and keep to the script and be confident that you are "in the right" and your facts are correct.

Just one other thing - do you know what your Folate level is? Symptoms of a folate deficiency are similar to those of B12. 

There is a complex interaction between folic acid, vitamin B12 and iron. A deficiency of one may be "masked" by excess of another so the three must always be in balance.

Folic acid is crucial for proper brain functioning and plays an important role in mental and emotional health and works closely with vitamin B12 in making red blood cells and helps iron function properly in the body. 

I am not a medically trained person but I have had P.A. (a form of B12 deficiency) for over 45 years and had to struggle to get my injection frequency increased.

I wish you well 

• Posted

Stephanie ask to be tested for Adrenal Insufficiency. Your symptoms are exactly the same as mine and by the time I was diagnosed I was very ill and passing out all the time. I spent 15 months on the sofa and went very pale, lost appetite lost weight. Ask the gp tp refer to you an endocrinologist xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.