Titanium pins

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am considering a vasectomy and am concerned around the pins. I am told they are the size of a grain of rice, but want to know if anyone can feel them.

As in if you have them, can you feel them with your fingers?

Can your partner? If so, is that painful?

Not asking for recent/ recovery issues, more ongoing back to normal situations.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Go to postvasectomypain.org

You have a lot more to worry about than titanium pins. 

Things like: chronic pain, nerve damage, ED, sperm granulomas, congestion pain, autoimmune responses, decreased sensation, prostatitis symptoms, etc. Risks are often downplayed by urologists. It doesn’t matter if you visit a top notch doctor, no one can predict how your body will react to a vasectomy. 

• Posted

Thanks, but as stated not looking for the recovery issues. I see many posts on those then many that say if you follow the doctor's recovery instructions risk of complication goes down. Of course there are risks based on human error or just how your body reacts, but the percentages seem higher for non-complications no.

My question here is on the pins. Hoping someone has input on the actual question.

• Posted

There are no pins used in a vasectomy.

Incision made, vas cut on both sides and incision left to heal...no pins and probably no sutures

• Posted

I meant to say clips, not pins. They use clips now to ensure the cauterization takes effect. Small titanium pins about the size of a grain of rice. I have not seen or felt one, and would like to know if anyone who has had them used can feel them inside.
    • Posted

Ah I see, didn't have any clips with vasectomy 6yrs ago.

Make sure you read up well on all risk factors as clips would be least of worries though

• Posted

Good luck to you then. Following doctors orders often has nothing to do with the recovery problems many men deal with. The site I referred you to will show you real life situations, not biased urology websites and “research.” 
  • Posted

I am sure it does, but also assuming those who post have problems and most times those we do not have problems do not post. If we compare the problems to the non-problems I assume the percent is higher. Complications can happen from any procedure. The question is how many are done per year, and how many problem cases reported per year. Is the percent 1-5% or greater?

If we see 1000 posts per year of problems yet there are 100,000+ performed... not discounting the unfortunate ones who had problems, that is horrible and I would hate to join those ranks. But to say something is bad because it does not have 100% success is a non-productive view.

Either way I may start a new thread as we are now well off-topic. I want to hear about the clips.

• Posted

I’m simply looking out for you to educate yourself on risks, nothing more. If I told you there was a 10% chance of making a million dollars, you’d say those are good odds for the money, right? Use that logic on chronic pain/problems in the most sensitive region of your body. Don’t worry, I won’t preach anything else. 

I would suggest checking a different forum/website. I’ve seen very few active users on here so it may be difficult to get the answer you’re looking for. I believe I’ve seen people report they can feel a clip if they dig around for it, but it shouldn’t be something that causes problems. The forum I referenced earlier has a search function. I’d assume someone has discussed it on there before and it would be easy to locate. 

• Posted

most times those we do not have problems do not post

In a way herein lies your problem, the majority on here will only post when they have a problem so you are asking those in the smaller bracket (potentially) and they are more than likely to reply with they had a problem with the clips than not. 

I hadn't realised they used clips so I am keen to hear the replies with regard them as well as it will add another facet to vasectomy knowledge - hopefully someone who has had experience of them will reply for you.

Replies like this, which may not help you directly, will ensure the post / thread stays up the list...bumping...so indirectly will help, hopefully anyway

• Posted

I had a vasectomy two months ago and no pins or clips were used in any way shape or form
  • Posted

Thanks, I have started to search if the clips were required. I will try speaking to the doctor to see if he is willing to do it without them and what the risks might be. I think they are a newer thing used to ensure no reattachment can happen over time.
  • Posted

My husband had clips and swears he can feel them.  We never looked into the different ways vasectomies could be done so we went with who we were referred to my our GP and didn’t ask enough questions. My husband does suffer from pvps so I’m not trying to persuade you one way or another.  I just know he says he swears they are part of the problem and can feel something down there. 
  • Posted

I think you are talking about vas clip technique here.

I do not think that it's very commonly used in the UK. Though it is worth asking the method to be used with your urologist. Not introducing a foreign body that may not be required near to such nerve rich tissues sounds a more rational approach to me however.

Please be aware though of the recently updated chronic pain stats around vasectomy.

E.g.

Royal College of Surgerons of England reference stating 15% rate:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1964127/

British Association of Urological Surgeons, patient advice reports chronic pain in 5-15% of patients.

https://www.baus.org.uk/_userfiles/pages/files/Patients/Leaflets/Vasectomy.pdf

UK Vasectomy Rates are down 64% in ten years

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2016/oct/21/number-of-vasectomies-in-england-falls-64-in-10-years

• Posted

I had no pins with my vasectomy. If you have a concern about the differences in the sizes of the scar tissue, the upper halves of your vas tubes are going to atrophy, a lot. The lower halves of your vas tubes are going to be about the same as they are now. I don't think the pins will make difference because they will make the lower part of the upper section the same size the lower sections. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Worrying about feeling a clip or pin down there is no concern. You will have a lot of scar tissue and your plumbing will be a bit of a mess. Lots of lumps and bumps of hard scar tissue. My left side isnt too bad as O had to have all the epididymis cut away in a follow up op. The right has some very hard lumps in the vas now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.