Tkn

Posted , 12 users are following.

it is 4am and the tossing and turning has started ! Know thing,s were going to well knee very sore  can any one tell me why this this seem,s to happen in the early hours of the morning when all you want to do is get back to sleep 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I don't know why but that has been happening to me for the entire 5 weeks post op!

I'm down to taking only half an oxycodone per day and THAT is when I take it.  It is impossible for me to go to sleep on the bed again and I just drag myself to my "recliner station" and slap a funny movie in or watch a cooking show (they mesmerise me for reasons unclear).   I ice/elevate/ heat and get comfortable and maybe an hour later I'm able to doze.  My sleep schedule is shot and that is the only thing I don't feel I have a decent understanding of as well.  For me it is 3am.  I don't even have to look at the clock and it doesn't matter when I went to bed.  So basically what I'm saying is I'm in the same boat and I don't have jack for advice!   I hope somebody comes up with a chant or mantra for us that helps. Hang in there and sleep WHENEVER you can.    Don

• Posted

Hi Gillian,

Sleep seems to be one the toughest issues to deal withafter this surgery.

I'm 11 weeks post op now and sleep has improved only during the past 2 weeks.

before that, I was a basket case. I found once I got off the pain meds itgradually got better and better, so rest assured, as tough as it may seem now, it does improve

• Posted

Hi Gillian,

I'm 13 weeks post op and my sleep patterns have changed throughout. They were shot for about the first 5 weeks and then settled down until about 10 weeks when the tossing and turning started again.

The return of restless sleep began at the same time that I could take the knee past 90° flexion and I think I was trying to sleep with both knees flexed as much as possible (my favourite foetal position), which was causing it to ache and wake me up.

The only other difference I can see is that I'm not on painkillers (which do muck up my sleep). I was very lucky in that my recovery has been relatively pain free. I was able to stop taking Oxycodone in the first week after surgery and only needed paracetamol for about the first 3 weeks post op (I heard lots of horror stories about Oxycodone and was determined to stop taking it asap).

The only way I can get back to sleep is ice on knee and meditation. I scoffed when my Osteo suggested it, but for me it really does seem to work. His method was to empty your mind as best you can and then bring your focus to indvidual parts of your body in turn starting at the feet i.e. each toe, then foot, then lower leg, then knee, then upper leg, toes on other foot, foot, lower leg, etc., etc. working your way up the body. Try not to analyse how each part feels, just acknowledge the feeling and move on.

I know it sounds a bit airy fairy, but what have you got to lose! wink

Best of luck,

Jodi 

• Posted

I've used that system for years . .also imagining each part of the body is heavy until you get to the head . .which is as light as air. You can suddenly feel your body relaxing!  Doesn't work at the moment though!
    • Posted

I was coached in that meditation for anxiety issues. I still use that with yoga and THAT has helped significantly.  I'm finding now that when I get to the new knee I just imagine that pain/ distress traveling down the leg quickly and on the surface and being whisked away.  And yes it does sound pretty new age, but it does help.
  • Posted

Hi Gillian. Everyone that's been through TKR will tell you that sleep is impossible. It took me 6 weeks to settle into some decent sleep. Like you, I would nod off at 5.00am. I am now 11 weeks and still sleep with pillow between knees. This massive operation messed our bodies up. Pain, leg position, internal stress and so on affect us. Just keep up with your pain control and ice. You will nod off during day. Take heart as it gets better. Take care.

Robert

• Posted

Hi Gillian 

Im 3weeks post op and the sleep pattern is all over the place .. 

The realisation is that the TKR is a big operation and no 2 recovery periods are the same The body has been through a lot of trauma 

what is important is a lot of replies and experiences are all important but one thing springs to mind that doesn't seem to get mentioned , is each persons age 

in total respect to everyone a person aged say 65+is going to recover different to someone either younger or older 

as long as progress is made in every individuals recovery that's the main objective 

• Posted

Hi Gillian...I think nights are worst because you don't have other distractions during the night, you are totally focussed, if you wake up, on your pain and discomfort.

I found I woke 2 or 3 times every night, i think because as someone else mentioned i was always trying in my sleep to get into the foetal position with my knee bent and then woke up as this caused pain. I found i needed to get up and walk about a bit, take some more pain killers and then i could get a few more hours sleep. I only stopped using the pillow between my legs a week ago at 12 weeks! Sleep is better now, but still not back to normal, and i had problems with sleep all over again when i stopped the codeine because of agitation, anxiety, feeling overheated etc...all withdrawal symptoms. lasted a few days.

However....it's so much better now that it was all worth it...so do not despair.

• Posted

Hi Gillian - I am in the same boat - each night varies - sometimes I'm awake a few times, sometimes every hour or so. I go to bed absolutely exhausted from the day so sleep heavily at first. During the night I'd normally move without waking, but because the painkillers are wearing off and my knee has been in the same position for a while and is semi-locked and heavy, it hurts like hell. Then it takes me ages to get back to sleep. I've tried two things - 1)  taking another painkiller when I wake the first time as that then helps a bit during the rest of the night; or 2)  I actually get up and have a little walk and bend to try and relax the knee a bit.
  • Posted

Hi there gill, apparently when you lie down the blood pools in the legs so this highlights the sore knee. I am seven moths now and my nights are much better as the knee is healing. Went a good long walk yesterday and did shopping. Last night my knee was quite sore again but its ok today things will improve just takes a long time I'm afraid 
  • Posted

I am almost 5 month post op and I still have a very difficult time sleeping. Wake up in the early morning always hurtting so just try to change the pillow under my leg and chang position. Good luck. I take Gabapentin at night
  • Posted

Hi 14.weeks and still having sleep problems. I wake up at least four times at night to change position.  I am back on  codamol at night too.  when will it end???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.