TKR 1 week ago...

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have a question my mom got a total knee replacement 1 week ago today and i have a question for anyone who can help.

There was a lot of swelling which has come down a wee bit, but there was also bruising which pretty much went from her hip down to her calve.  I dunno if this is normal.  The bruise went bright purple and now looks like its getting better and is yellowish.

another thing is her leg near the incision is quite warm.  She is putting ice packs to help with the swelling...but im unsure if the fact that her leg is warm is normal. 

please any input would be most helpful.

thanks smile

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

everything is normal. There will be swelling, bruising and heat for a long while yet. I am over 3 months post op and can still feel warmth in my knee. It is the healing that is going on underneath.  She is lucky to have a caring daughter. Please take time to scroll past posts. They will tell you everything to expect. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Louiz

It all sounds pretty normal for a week post op. People bruise and heal differently. The warmness at the incision site also sounds similar to what i experienced ( I am 8 weeks post op and have been back at work for a week and doing OK) Just keep an eye on the incision site and if it weeps or looks like it's getting worse or infected, then seek medical help straight away. Keep the ice going and it should slowly settle down and heal over the coming days and weeks.

• Posted

This is all very normal. To control bleeding, they put a type of tournaqet around the calf. This often times causes severe bruising, depending on the individual. Heat in the knee is just part of the excessive trauma that the joint goes through during the surgery. She will probably continue to have a warm knee for months to come as long as there is any inflammation and inflammation will last as long as the knee is being rehabed. Any time you have a question just throw it out to the group and you will get lots of help. The folks on here are very concerned, compassionate, caring folks that have been through the drill.
  • Posted

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for your quick responses!

i thought it may be normal- but family and frineds who have come to visit have made me nervous with some of their comments and needed to do my own research and found the perfect site to get all my answers!

i have been perusing the past posts and they are so informative and helps to get a real understanding of the long road ahead for my mom from people who have experienced it and are experiencing it.

thanks again smile

• Posted

The bruising seems to be excessive but it is normal. The change of colour is also normal All bruising goes through a colour range, thats how Drs/nurses can tell how  old a bruise is. The warmth is another normal thing and ice packs are ideal. 

Exercise is a must right from the start , using ice after wards and painkillers taken regularly to keep the pain under control. Painkillers to start with shouldnt be missed or left until there is pain as the pain is much harder to deal with then. Hope that helps

• Posted

Absolutely normal. Plenty of ice to help with swelling. Bruising will go but c an take several weeks.

robert

• Posted

Oh my, 1 week is so very early post op.  I am 9 weeks post op and the swelling has now subsided to where my knee looks more normal, but it took most of that time for the swelling to go away.  I'm told the knee will remain warm for quite some time - it's hearling!  Pain medication and ice packs helped me survive.  Tell your Mom to keep up the good work.  Time heals and one day she will be out of bed and feeling much better!  My constant was "elevate and ice" - that helped so much!
  • Posted

Yes quite normal. But if you have any concerns just ring your doctor. As you willsee from this forum there are so many different rates of recovery and it is so good to know you are not alone.
  • Posted

Hi Louiz. 

My bruising went from the top of my thigh to my toes but gradually disappeared over the first 10 days. The swelling was just about gone after 12 weeks. The heat has sometimes been incredible, and even now it has hot days if I over do it, but it means things are still mending in there so all is good. My replacement is rarely painful now and does walking an stairs really well, strangely it is standing it doesn't like very much. It's 3 months now so I expect small improvements over the next 3 months and all should be good. It's hard work, so give you mom lots of support and help and she will get through this. (Does my bruise win?)

Regards Paul  

• Posted

Hi louiz, I agree with all that Paul said.   Tell your Mum to keep on with the ice. I am nearly 4 m post op but still ice everyday.  Sometimes when I get frustrated and feel I am not moving forward my partner will point out the things I couldn't do the week before  etc.. This is good for me as I can sometimes be negative. I am sure it will help your Mum as well if you do this. You sound like a lovely daughter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.