TKR - 12 weeks post op

Posted , 13 users are following.

i am into 12 weeks post op after having a TKR. standing in one place for  15 minutes or so, my knee feels like it is swelling on the inside and that creates pain when bending my knee.  I have to stretch to relieve this discomfort.  Is this normal?   I did physical therapy for two months,  it was a tremendous help in my recovery. It is the stiffness I am concerned about,  my doctor told me that it is a long recovery since this is a big surgery.  wink

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandi, I am 17 weeks post op and I still have the symptoms you describe. The problem is when you walk the knee pumps the blood round when you just stand it pools in the knee and starts to swell, all perfectly normal I am told. This is caused by them pulling everything about in there during the surgery and it taking its time for everything to settle down and internal swelling to deminish, it should be better over time possibly 6 months to a year, occasionally longer.

Every morning the first job is to pull the leg back to bend the the knee to my maximum bend which has levelled out at about 135 degrees and hold it there for 30 seconds ( surgeon said this would be as much as he would expect and not to try and go any further). I can walk well and use stairs up and down but there is a fair ammount of clicking inside the knee as I walk, which is more annoying than anything else and I am told that will diminish in time as well.

You and I are over the worst I think, but this TKR thing can still come up with a few surprises if you read peoples posts on this site, hopefully not for too many of us!smile

Regards Paul

• Posted

Thx Paul, what you described is exactly my symptoms (clicking while walking).   With the stiffness I actually thought I had an infection, my Dr sent me for bloodwork and thank goodness no infection.  The stationary bicycle seems to help me loosen up.  I thought I was alone on this.  Your post has helped me mentally. Yhx again, be well.  Sandi (USA)
    • Posted

Do you have pain when walking or did you ever? I'm 12 weeks out and I have a lot of pain and a tourniquet felling after about 5-10 min of walking.

• Posted

I think that's the knee swelling. I have the same. I've found a neoprene knee pad helps if I'm out and about.  Good luck with it.

• Posted

Hi, Paul is spot on with his comments. I am 11 weeks post op. I mentioned to my physio about a niggling inner knee pain. She gave me an extra exercises which has helped me. Lying flat raise leg and hold but turn foot outwards during hold. It stretches around the inner knee. Worth a try. Take care.

Robert

• Posted

Right! I am going to do that now, pre op. I already do the raising (in my bath) but wasn't sure what to do with my foot lol. Many thanks
  • Posted

Hi Sandi, I found standing fo any length of time very uncomfortable for a long time. But it does get better. I'm over 7 months post op now and, although I still get stiffness, I find myself standing at a shop checkout and thinking, wow, this doesn't hurt any more like it did. So take heart, keep up your exercises and be patient 😊 
    • Posted

Thx Jennifer  The problem with me is that I am an impatient person.  After reading many comments I know in time it will improve.  Thx again and take care
  • Posted

I am seven months post op TKR and still have lots of pain when standing. I've had Physio and hydrotherapy, consultant on Thursday told me it could take between 1-2 years before my knee is totally pain free, it's getting stronger but I need to continue Physio, / hydro and painkillers and massage with anti inflammatory gel.
    • Posted

Thx Linda,  I was told that it can take up to one year to feel like the knee belongs to the body.  Hopefully no longer than that.  Good luck to you.
    • Posted

Hi Linda, I'm 7 months post op too and interested to hear you still get pain when standing. As I said earlier in this discussion, I don't suffer such pain now but my leg still gets really stiff and it's hard to bend it backwards after standing for a while. My problem is I've also developed a tight piriformis muscle (in the buttock) which causes sciatica type pain, tingling and numbness down the back of my leg. So it's difficult to ascertain how much the stiffness is due to the knee and how much to this additional problem. Do you get this stiffness too? I'mattending a rehab course at the hospital which includes some gym work and work in the pool. I also get some acupuncture there. I am able to walk a fair distance now relatively pain free but, again, stiff. How about you? I get frustrated that I'm not more flexible but hope your surgeon is right and we continue to improve. I hope this is not as good as it gets! Jen 
  • Posted

Hi I am 15weeks post TKR and I work in a shop and have to stand more or less for 8 hours a day. Seriously thinking it's hindering my recovery. I do have signs of progressing. No chance to sit down . Long story. By the end of the day can barely walk home. Not sure if I am doing damage as nights are still pretty rough, not much sleep
  • Posted

I'm 10 weeks post tkr, struggled in the beginning, lots of pain and swelling. Up until last week i had lots pain while standing, i just focused on excercise and walking everyday. Im able to walk 2.5 miles daily w/ no pain now. I do however experience the tired stiff feeling after walking. Good luck, everyone claims it just gets better with time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.