TKR 12 wks muscle pain feedback please

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I have had a reasonably trouble free experience re pain and movement but since the numbness has gone from my scar tissue area the knee has become more painful and i am wondering about other peeps experience with this; how long did it last and does anything help? I feels like it's really stretching inside my leg and I'm wondering if that's ok or should I slow up on stretching exercises? Do people still ice at this stage, my knee does feel a bit warm still Id be really grateful for feeback, Thanks 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Suki:

I had my tkr 5 months ago on the 29th of August.  I am still swollen somewhat and warm to the touch.  Bending is pretty good - learning it takes time to heal.  Numbness is going slowly and some discomfort is noticed especially when weather is going to be bad.  I am icing also.  You are only 12 weeks, looks as though you are doing fine - takes a long time.

• Posted

sounds like the swelling issues and soreness depend on activity level.  I was told 3 months to sometimes an entire year.  I'm just 3 weeks out and felt so good I walked without aid for over an hour and I'm still paying for it 3 days later,  Hard to hold back.  I'm surprised some people even go back to work after 6 weeks.  I can't imagine that.

• Posted

Hi barb, I'm in same boat, had tkr March 14, makes it around 5 months, still have swelling, pain n stiffness..... Does it ever go away??? 🤔😡..  My bend is at 110 at last measure, but each month my numbers seem to go up. It the darn pain n the rest that doesn't seem to want to go away, ahhhhhh! I won't stop my exercise program, which I know adds to all the symptoms... I just hope I'll get there. Can't takes insaids, so still rely on that other medication, but limit myself. Going to see ortho, this time with list in hand of questions. I'm slow to ice at this point too. My days. Are so consumed with this.  Yes! We are the Tkr soldiers....blessings and healing prayers to you and everyone in this forum...best , kathy ... 🍀🍀 🌬🌬 👼👼 🌈🌈

• Posted

I certainly slowed down my excercising because of the pain over the incision.  I think you have to play that by ear.  My surgeon said when it hurts, back off.  Now a PT won't tell you that.  They expect you to work through the pain, but you have to use common sense and balance what your doctor has told you.  There's a wide variety of opinions I found even while I was in the hospital.  Some doctors don't even have their patients go through any bending while they are in the hospital.  I figure since I took the most guarded approach, I probably have more scarr tissue hindering movement.  But I have the option to have MUA, manipulation while under anesthesia, and also if need be have the surgeon go in and cut the scarr tissue. I think any time you feel your knee has heated up, you should ice it.   One thing I am using is lidocain either in a lotion for that area, excluding right over the incision,or an aspercream with lidocain patch.  That is really soothing.  I don't think you should need narcotic pain relief, because if the pain is that intense then you want to be thinkiing, infection? or blood clot?  But you may still need to be on some kind of anti-inflammatory, and I'm on two alieve twice a day, plus the aspirin.

• Posted

I still ice at 22 months (upon occassion) because the knee cap isn't the best in one of the knees. At 12 weeks, I was definitely still icing both knees. The numbness will most likely be with you forever - I know, a little disapointing to hear. The healing process takes a very, very long time. You have a lot of regneration of your muscles and ligaments going on as they fit back into place and strengthen.

-Mo

• Posted

It's a long haul and sounds as if you're doing well - keep a diary and track your ups and downs. I'm 18months and still have sensitivity on the incision plus slight stiffness when I overdo it but otherwise it's really good. Hopefully you won't take as long as I was really bad to start with - stick to light Physio and what people on this site advise. Also drink lots and lots of water

• Posted

I feel like I'm really not doing well.  I can only bend about 40 and I had quit PT because the session 4 days ago was so excruciating.  But they called back saying a different therapist would work with me.  What do you mean by "stick to light Physio."  Do you mean don't let them cause you to scream and goan?  I'm somewhat sick to my stomach about going back.  I'm three weeks from the TKR

• Posted

Lynn PT is so important. I stayed with a pt guy for 6 weeks. I was up and down in the ROM. This guy was brutal. I did my exercises at home. He truly felt no pain no gain. I too would get sick to my stomach before I went. I had to have manipulation under anesthesia just about 5 weeks because I had scar tissue build up. The day of the procedure I had pt. And the next 3 days. He said it needed to be agressive. By Friday I was in agony altho my ROM was 110. Had a terrible weekend of pain and swelling. Went back Monday and Rom was 40! Pt said he was calling my dr. My Dr pulled me out of pt because the guy was over the top aggressive. 2 days later I started with Bob who works with our local hospital. Bob was awesome. Never once did he put me in horrible pain. He doesn't use machines. It's all him with massaging and showing me stretching to do. He would bend me knee only to the point of discomfort. And he would give me "homework" to do. Your pt is as important as your dr. I'm getting my other knee done next yr. And I already told Bob I would be back. Find a new pt person. You'll be amazed at the difference.

• Posted

I didn't say...I'm 5 months po. Done with pt for quite sometime. Once I reached 120 bend and 0 straight I was released. It does get better and it does take time.

• Posted

Light Physio is up to ouch ouch but not to screaming point. Needs to stretch and strengthen. Needs little and often. A few minutes every hour even. Self help is really important in this process. Take pain relief before you go to Physio and take anti inflammatory afterwards and ice.
    • Posted

Thank you sooo much.  I have done so with getting a new PT and it was a good change, like from night to day.  Had a session today for the first time with the new PT and I am much more optimistic and now hopeful I may not need MUA.  So how did your medical people know you had scar tissue impeading your progress?  Did they do an MRI or untrsound?
    • Posted

Everything you said here is spot on.  My new therapist said the very same basic thing.  I'm doing the exercises every hour.  And yes when you push too hard, the result is soreness, swelling and more stiffness that hinders progress.  Thanks to you wonderful contributors I am learning alot.  

• Posted

Usually just know as its so common - and can feel it when they do deep tissue massage. Can scan if need op to remove it. But usually repairs with stretching and Physio breaking it down. It can build up again though so that's why need to be consistent and long term with early rehab exercises.

• Posted

Thank you, did your P therapist do the deep tissue massage or did you go to someone else for that?
    • Posted

I had a few sessions at the hospital and then went to a private Physio - also had cupping - brilliant. Hydrotherapy was also really good and I still do exercises in a pool whenever I can. Just dips and walking with high knees helps a lot - plus the exercise bike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.