TKR 15 weeks post op. Pain and swelling with grinding

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I'm 15 weeks post op from total knee replacement. I'm 41, with brittle bones disease which has left me multiple fractures throughout my life. One of which left my left knee severely disfigured with eventually osteoarthritis. Bone on bone.

Had my total knee replacement 15 weeks ago at stanmore royal orthopadic hospital London.

I had problems with bending to begin with. Now I have bet the orthopedics expectation and have a bend of 105 instead of the predicted 90.

However today I woke up with swelling on the inside of the knee cap and below, it is painful. I have a painful grinding in it when I straighten and bend it. The grinding can be felt if you put your hand on my knee.

Any ideas please as to what it could be?. Am I worrying for nothing?

Please any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you to anyone who replies

Michelle

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure about the grinding. I would contact your physician ASAP. Good luck. I am 16 weeks post tkr and 10 weeks for the other knee.

• Posted

Contact your surgeon.  Last week I overdid and my knee was quite stiff and

made an appt to see doctor.  Took x-rays - everything good - but it relieved

my mind.  Good luck

• Posted

Hi when you say grinding it may be where the new joint is rubbing together i get this also when climbing the stairs i get a crepitus sound and a clonking noise fron the knee physio said its nothing to worry about we all worry that things are not right check with you doc good luck
  • Posted

Michelle, by all means have the leg checked to relieve your concern.  I have had this 2 times...and yes the painful grinding.  My swelling popped up on outside of knee once and inside once.

My doc said mine was scar tissue....both around the knee cap and back of knee.  I massage it in those areas every day.

I remember freaking out about the pain and grinding...kept telling my husband....something is wrong!!!!  I had not had pain like that for months.

i am 6 1/2 months post op now and I expect to have to massage these area and my scar going forward.

good luck...and let us know.

Pam

• Posted

Hi ya everyone.

Thank you all so much for replying to my questions

I have decided to give it a week before I contact my surgeon.

I only had 4 half hours of pysio. My last one finished 6 weeks ago, and I have slacked in my exercises.

I am hoping it is scar tissue.. I am getting back in to my exercises tomorrow first thing and hopefully I will see an improvement. And I won't need to contact my surgeon.

I keep you all updated.

Many thanks again to you all.

• Posted

Michelle,  I too had gotten lax with exercises.  I returned to work cleaning houses 4 days a week and thought it was enough.  I have started muscle strengthing, squats, lunges every other day.  I also rub the front and back of my knee daily twice.  It has worked for me.

good luck.

pam

• Posted

Thank you so much Pam. You really have put my mind at ease. First thing tomorrow I will be exercising. I have exercise bike and treadmill at home which I will start to gradually build up on each day again.

I will keep you posted. I wish you all the best with your recovery as well.

• Posted

Please tell me how u got to 105 very painfull to get to 95 and my surgery was in may had manipulation on the 15th still at 95 at tops thanks need help Keith
    • Posted

Honestly, I found it really difficult and painful.

I done all exercises at home as often as i could which could be as little as twice a day or as much as 6 times a day depending how busy I was as I have boys to look after.

The best thing I found for the bending was a skateboard on the floor and I sat in an office chair, I would push the board backwards and forwards and gradually going that bit further back. And also in a hot bath I would do a lot of bending.

Once I saw my surgeon and he told how great I done and bet their expectations, I stopped the exercises. And here I am now posting about pain and swelling and grinding.so please don't stop like I did.

Good luck. It is a very long road to full recovery. Keep us updated.

• Posted

Michelle,  just checking to see how you are doing.  Are things better??

Pam

• Posted

Hi ya Pam.

Thank you so much for taking time to see how I am doing. I am doing better, not a great deal but enough.. I have been strict with my exercises and gradually building time up on exercise bike and treadmill. I have also started to walk for 20 mins daily. I am slowly seeing an improvement in the grinding. I am still suffering from pain and swelling after exercising. I have started to take pain relief again.. only once a day. My knee is slightly swollen in the mornings when I wake up. I think that could possibly be my knee getting used to exercising again after I had break from it. I was silly to believe that I had healed so soon and could just get on daily without exercising and physio. I can not thank you enough for your time and caring.

Michelle

• Posted

Hi ya Pam

Thankyou so much for taking the time to see how I am doing. I am doing better, not a great deal better but definitely better. My knee isn't grinding as much, however it is still swelling up and painful. I however doing my exercises again and using my treadmill and exercise bike. I am walking for 20 mins a day. I was silly to believe I had healed to quickly and just get on with daily life without exercise and physio. So I have had a lesson learnt and I will continue with physio and exercise. I can not thankyou enough for your advice and I believe you was right. Thankyou also for asking how I'm doing. The was so kind of you.

Michelle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.