TKR 18 months ago, continue with inflammation and pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone had trouble with recovering from knee surgery. It has been 18 months and I still have swelling and burning pain. I can't be on my feet more than 1-2 hours. My ortho surgeon continues to tell me it will just take time. I did get my TKR due to necrotic bone from a SONK lesion. Just wondering if any has any input regarding this. Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

? I have no experience of your other condition but still have pain and aching and some stiffness in my TRKR after 10 months. The x-ray looks OK but I'm told it can take much longer for things to improve. My knee was quite wrecked before I had the TKR and I'm over 60 years old and was very ill with other issues before the surgery. So I imagine that has impacted my recovery somewhat.

?All I could suggest is could you get a second opinion at this stage as the recovery delay is affecting your life ?

• Posted

Hi, I had a tkr 22 months ago and was doing really well for the first year. Then when I tried to walk more or stand longer periods of time my knee got achey. It gets quite uncomfortable and would be stiff and sore in the morning. I am on quite a high doze pain meds as my other knee is troubling me and I await surgery for it. I often wonder how sore it actually is if I was not on pain meds. I saw my consultant in October last and he said he was very happy with it and it takes up to two years to become mine......so roll on March it should be pain and ache free...lol!!!biggrin     I somehow doubt this but he is not concerned as he says I have good movement and the x-rays are good. I am only 52 and have very bad arthritis in a lot of joint and knee I had replaced was in a very bad way and total bone on bone which is why I had it replaced at 50. I think it will just take patience which I have had to learn to have and take my time and if I don't get it done it now waits. Hope you get relief soon x

• Posted

I am 7 weeks out so I can not answer personally but my mom took over 2 years to get to feeling really good.  She had both knees done, not at the same time.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your input. It helps me to hear it is taking some of you longer too. Just kind of sad to see everyone else doing so well within months to a year. I'm hopeful I'll get there?

• Posted

its twenty two months since my first knee was done and twelve months since second knee. So the first knee is more painful that the second. Ive just had an x-ray on first knee this week and the Dr says all looking good so I don't know .

It's more painful than the first . I have osteoarthrits in many joints so i have used Paracetamol for about 10 years in the am and pm . These days i have ibuprofen at lunchtime or at night as well.

I think Im just going to accept my lot and take my meds . Whats the use of my complaining now . it is what it is . Im sorry if telling you about my misery. I have co patient with whom i chat and she seems to be fine now. Maybe Im just a moaner.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.