TKR 3 weeks and 1 day!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. I just really want to give a Huge thanks to everyone who has messaged me or posted on this site. As I've said before I am a 57 year old twice widowed lady. Who suffers from depression anyway. I have severe arithrits in all my joints and I'm no stranger to surgery. But this op.was the most painful thing I have ever had done! My surgeon told me he had to make a bigger incision that usual just due to the state my knee was in. Hence I have a wound that runs up over my knee and approx 8 inches above. My son said it looks like I belong hanging in a butchers shop ha ha. But joking aside. This as a lot of you already know is hard work and extremely frustrating and painful. I have in the first 2 weeks felt so depressed. Isolated (I live alone) and at times frightened.you can't even escape in sleep because you can't get comfortable. In those lonely times when I didn't know if what I was feeling was normal. I kept up to date with all your posts and I can't tell you how much this has helped me both physically and mentally. I'm now just over 3 weeks .And I know it's still early days for this op.but I'm noticing little improvements. Now I feel I will get there. The pain I still have is normal and I'm copying with it much better. And it's all down to you. So sorry this is a bit of a novel.but thanks everyone and good luck to all of us. I will of course still be on here following everyone's journey as well as posting my own when required. Xx

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jayne.  I'm so pleased that things are starting to improve.  It does take such a long time but I think it is worth it in the end. I'm 54 and 6 months post op so I've been where you are. It is difficult to see light at the end of this long excruciating tunnel but hang in there.  I still get pain and a bit of tightness but I have gone from saying "why the hell did I have this done?" to "I'm pleased I went through with it!"All the best to you love. Keep up the exercises, ice and elevation - it does work. X
  • Posted

Hi Jayne I know exactly how you feel as I had the same thing when they opened my knee up. I have a huge scar as well!  You will find things improving in the next tour weeks which will make you feel better in yourself.   Take your meds regularly as this is essential.   Good luck xxx
    • Posted

Thank you Susan. Imean really grateful for that message. I feel like I've made new friends and not so alone. All the best to you Hun xx
  • Posted

Dear Jayne ... Sorry for you being alone to cope with this. You are so right about the nights ... It is a form of torture ... I snatched sleep in an hour or so, wake up, walk around the bedroom, ice, doze ... It really does improve so don't panic. I was lent a fantastic ice bucket, hose, ice pack affair called a Cryocuff ... You can buy on amazon or look on eBay ... I kept it by the bed and used it during the night ... Especially before you get into bed for the night so the knee is a bit cooler to sleep. Take your painkillers regularly and don't wait for pain to build up. Sometimes just getting up and walking a couple of minutes can help ... 

Are your stitches or staples out? That helps too and when your would is totally clean and dry I rubbed in pure vitMin E oil ... Gently rub sideways as well as up and down to help break up the scar tissue,  do the exercises ,,, I got a bit lazy becUs doc added back problems .... Really worth the effort however painful ... Little and often rather than too many if it is too painful and remember the golden rule ... Painkillers, ice, exercise, elevate and ice again! 

Good luck

• Posted

Hugs to you too.  I'm also on my own and I understand done of what you are feeling. It takes a long time to recover from this surgery, mentally and physically.   I remember when I was using ice and heat how I thought it would be so nice to have someone there to put the ice away or bring me something warm.  I truly believe that one or one support and encouragement must help.  Like you, I've pent hours reading this forum, especially in the middle of the night.  We will get better, and stronger in all ways.  Just have to try and be patient.
    • Posted

I second that Sharon, many a night I have spent looking at the posts because I couldn't sleep, especially over christmas.   I slept with the Christmas tree every night in the lounge lol.   Because of the time differences you always found someone awake!
  • Posted

Jayne:  Bless your heart - I just can't imagine being alone during this recuperative process.  Like you, I found this forum to be of a big help.  It is comforting to hear from others that have actually experienced the same thing rather than doctors telling us what to expect (as if they knew firsthand!).  I am 11 weeks post op and the sleeping is better.  I can actualy get 3-4 hours sleep at a time now - much better.  Like the others say - pain meds, exercise, rest, elevate and ice.  My days for a while seemed like nothing but elevate and ice!  Take care - get well!
  • Posted

Hello Jayne

So glad you are feeling better. This forum has been a real lifeline for me. I am now 9 weeks in and starting to see real improvements. Still not sure if i would do it again but am looking forward to being fully functional lol! Good luck to you. X

• Posted

Hi Jayne.I agree. I am also a widow on my own and was so frightened that I was doing something very wrong because People were telling me I should be further along in my recovery. After I got onto this site I was reassured. I know my recovery is longer than usual but there were a few glitches.

Thank goodness for this site.  Jenny

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.