TKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

thanks for that. I don't think that I am being too ambitious as I was playing 13 weeks after my first TKR back in March. At the moment I can swing and hit the ball as well as I did before, the main problem is that having both sciatica and a recovering knee is stopping me playing. I was hoping to play next Sunday 1st March but with the discomfort of both I don't think thstbI will be able to walk the course.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I hope you can soon enjoy your sports with safety!  If you are used to playing, it must be a huge chunk of life denied to you at the moment!  If you discover a cure for the sciatica let me know!  At six weeks the idea of walking on a golf course sounds unachievablefor me , but perhaps when I'm at 13 things will be better!
  • Posted

Thank you for your comments. What I failed to say was that I was getting nowhere ( a Physio appt was 5 weeks away) andso  I had two sessions with a chiropractor however I didn't feel that I was getting anywhere and resulted to doing exercises at home which I saw on the Internet. Last week I had my first Physio and I have 2 more appts booked for the next 2 weeks. After the first one I felt as though I had been hit by a bus and for two days I was in a lot of pain. This resided a little but came back I have my second appt this coming Tuesday.
    • Posted

How many week are you from your second TKR?  5 weeks for a physio appointment seems like a long time! I'm starting hydrotherapy on Monday, but not sure how much use it will be. I've mixed feelings about the physio . . the agony she causes during and after may be good . . no pain no gain . . or is it actually doing harm?.  I sometimes wonder.  the back pain definitely seems to be much worse after the physiotherapy sessions. . .
    • Posted

It is so funny you would mention "no pain no gain".  I was wondering the same thing on the stationary bike.  We quit using the bike because it seemed to hurt the knees, now they tell me to use it to fix the knee.  One just never knows!

I live in the US and I think medical care is different here than in other locations.  I have to pay every time I go to physical therapy and never looked into what the price would be for hydrotherapy.  Just doing what I can at home because I can't afford to pay their fees every time I go.

Oh, I am 9 weeks post op and am able to do everything I did before surgery, but with less pain than before.  However, the pain in my knee remains but is different.  At 6 weeks I kneeled to scrub both bathroom floors and the kitchen floor.  Having trouble with the other knee now because I put more pressure on it to keep the surgical knee with less pressure.  The things we do!

• Posted

I am 4 weeks out and it has occured to me that if I start feeling pain during any exercise, if I don't back off to where it is manageable, I will pay for it the next day and maybe two.  I'm just getting to the point where I can use the stationary bike and do a full rotation with no resistance but it has taken quite a few days of just appoaching the point of pain and slowly working up until I can get the knee over the top. My PT backed me on this approach and gave me the yoga advice: Listen to your body.
    • Posted

Doesn't your insurance guarantee any pt with joint replacement. I thought by law they had to. Of course, I'm on medicare and we get a couple of thousand and then you are shut off. I had my 1st one in '04 they were much more generous.
    • Posted

My private insurance does cover me for physiotherapy if i go to one of their centres, but until recently I haven't felt lie driving. . and to tell the truth a taxi there and back would cost me more than the 40 euros an hour a private physio costs . . we live in a rather isolated area.  You seem to be doing very well !!!! at six weeks scrubbing floors for heaven's sake!  do be careful with that knee At six weeks I certainly haven't achieved enough bend to do anything like that . . I still find sitting on the toilet a bit difficult and haven't cracked going down stairs either. . . .Los the US but can't holiday there any longer . . no insurance!
    • Posted

Yes, my insurance does offer coverage for PT; however, you are still required to pay a co-pay for every visit.  My particular co-pay is $25 per visit, but I have heard of others that pay $60 per visit.  Even at $25, if the Dr. wants you to go 3 times weekly that is $300 monthly from a monthly annuity.  Quite a chunk!  Also, my insurance allows for a maximum of 55 PT visits annually.  I already had used some of those when I had part of a foot amputated earlier this year.
    • Posted

Oh, how funny you mention the toilet.  Who would have thought just sitting on it would be so difficult!  I was in a hurry to go to the toilet one day (I'm old, you know) so went to the bathroom and just sat on the toilet like I would do any day.  OUCH!  The knee bent for me to sit, but I sure wasn't ready for that amount of pain!  Also, one day going down the stairs my feet slipped and in catching myself so as not to fall my knee bent incredibly on the step to stop me.  Agan, OUCH!  But, each instance helped to tear away some of the scar tissue that was developing so it turned out to be in my advantage.
    • Posted

Ouch....1st the pain of the knee, then the surgery, now the insurance company
  • Posted

I had some Physio while I was in hospital and got to 100 degree bend. This was supposed to be followed up with more Physio at the local hospital, hence the long wait as the operation was carried out at The Nuffield.

i use a stationary cycle which is good and I have had a few outings on my own bike but this is hard.

i can't remember having this amount of knee discomfort when I had my first TKR last March but I have more bend.

no gain without pain is correct. I think that because we have this new thing in our bodies that we tend to treat it with too much respect. As the Physio said it is brand new and will not break. It does hurt but it has to be done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.