TKR 4 months post op tried work

Posted , 6 users are following.

hiya i had a tkr nearly 4 months ago ive had few problems along way slow healing and my rom is only 50 i thought i would try work just for a few hours was not a good idea my job is sales assistant i did 4 hours on my feet ended up feeling so much pain and totally deflated didnt think it would affect me so bad had ice pack on for last hour

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Standing that long is very painful. I am 10 months post operation and can't do that long. You need to take a break every hour and put your feet up to help with swelling.

• Posted

With a ROM of 50 , I would guess you are still seeing your Physical Therapist a few times per week? I'm 14 weeks out with a ROM of 120, but still go twice weekly , as I'm afraid that I will loose ground as my job does entail a fair smount of sitting. I can only stand still for about a half hour , but if I have a cart to lean on ( such as while shopping), I can last a few hours. I've been told to keep icing three times a day for 20 minutes as long as it stiil sppears swollen,hot or has pain. Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

So sorry for your pain. I had RTKO 3 yrs ago and it took me 6 months to actually admit that I was glad I had it done. It helps if people asking questions let us know about how old you are, as this can make a huge difference in giving you some advise. I am turning 70 soon and am having my 2nd LTKO soon. It took me that long to realize I could not live with the pain any longer. I did not work during my 1st TKO but my ROM was much better than yours at this stage. Take the advise that they have given you and try to work less hours if possible. All I can do is sympathize with you as a TKO is the toughest surgery you will ever have. I can say that has I have had multiple surgeries since having stage 4 breast cancer in 1985, was given at best 5 years to live and I am still here and cancer free. never give up, you can get through this!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.