TKR 4 weeks post op

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi I had my right total knee replacement just over 4 weeks ago. My surgical scar looks clean and healthy however this evening I noticed what I first thought was a piece of cotton on my scar. ON closer inspection this turned out to be a stitch about 1.5 long poking out of the centre of my wound. I tried to pull it free but it's not budging. I'M not sure what to do. HAS anyone else experiencedo this? Any advice is welcome x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kerrie,

Haven't seen this Thank God.

I would go to my GP if I were you.

Best to be safe.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Or call you doctor. It could dissolve depending upon the material. Cathy
  • Posted

Hi - it is very disturbing when this happens. Please don't pull on it !!

I had this a couple of times and even had bits come out of one surgical cut years post op.

I would check it out with your medical team just to be safe.

• Posted

Hi. Yes I had this happen it turned out to be part of one of the internal suture  the nurse I saw carfeful pushed it back in  and placed as sterile strip over o keep in place it has never come out again and has now totally healed up an. Been absorbed don't pull on it as that may tear internally 

• Posted

Go back to your surgeon and have it removed by a professional. Don't tempt fate and infection by doing it yourself.

• Posted

Hi,

Yes I had the same thing only mine had turned black and it really wasn't sure what it was.  I should the doctor and she told me that it was in fact a stitch and sometimes that is the way they work their way out.  Mine is all gone now.

• Posted

call the surgeons office so they can remove it, i would not try to do it myself.
  • Posted

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your comments.  I rang the ward this morning and they asked me to go straight in.  Once there a theatre nurse examined my knee and said it was an internal suture that had worked its way through.  She trimmed it off and put a dressing on as there is now a tiny hole in the scar.  I have to keep in covered with a dressing for the next 3 weeks until I see my consultant,  and if there is any sign of infection I have to go straight back.  Apparently it's fairly common and nothing to worry about.  The area is quite tender now as I accidentally caught it with my nail when I thought it was a bit of cotton fluff this morning but my mind has been put at rest.  Thanks again for all your support 😊

• Posted

I would contact your Doctor. It is wise to be careful. Good luck to you. Barbara
  • Posted

Hi Kerrie

Yes, I have. You had two sets of stitches. The first set is internal. The second set, the top set is external.

The external stitches are removed typically at two weeks.

The internal stitches remain because they are dissolvable. It is not unusual for one of these dissolvable stitches to pop up.

Take a small scissors, thoroughly clean them with alcohol and clip the stitch after you clean the stitch with alcohol. Finish up by cleaning the site with alcohol.

kind regards

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.