TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

It's 7  weeks since my op and i feel a lot better but the knee is still burning at times and i'm struggling to get the knee straight.  I know we all ice our knees but does anyone use hot packs as well.  I sometimes feel i need  a hot pack to ease the stiffness in the knee but my PT does not recommend me doing this.  Any comments would be really welcome.

therese

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Ice is always the reccommendation. Heat may feel better but actually does more harm than good in the long run.
    • Posted

Thanks for that, i'll take your advice and leave the heat pads alone.

Many thanks

Therese

• Posted

I have read while heat may feel good, it does more harm, in that it increases blood to the area and causes an increase in swelling. Soooo. I have avoided heat pads. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply.  I'll take your advice and leave well alone.

Therese

• Posted

I use my wheat bag for most of the day...particularly when working at my desk.  I've also purchased a small TENS machine.
  • Posted

Hi Theresa I am now three years in July this year but I can remember asking the surgeon if I can to the glasgow to Edinburgh it a 50miles cycle he asked others present when this was one said about eight weeks he said owe yes no problem easier said than done ..now Theresa I am a fifteen stone male in my fifties by no means an athlete with ankle problem needing a tripple athrodesis .(now completed july 2015 ) but needed the knee replacement first what I found was if I raise the seat in the gym bike it meant I could cycle but I couldn't get my foot to go all the way around when turning pedal but after a few weeks I managed it this meant I could go for the fifty mile cycle I remember the doc saying go for it you can't do any damage to it ...the bike has been my best friend ..so Theresa I would say don't worry about it warm up I had that I feel it the knee healing ..I would say go to the gym start slowly on bike you will feel a big diferance within a few weeks 

go for it Theresa and don't worry about the knee healing up ...remember you have had a major op it takes time but believe me it's worth it 

good luck Theresa ...go for it a whole new you is waiting 

• Posted

hi Therese,

​I also was told this about heat pads.I am 5 weeks in and still very swollen and brused.

​i cannot straighten or bend my knee more than 70 D.

​Getting very fed up as its now 16 months since my accident,But keep telling myself that this is the end of a very long journey.

• Posted

I use heat all the time. (Consultant & physio approved).  Put ice on my knees and they will lock.  Don't use the heat pads, invest in a wheatie bag, price wise they vary, so shop around as they do not have to be expensive.  The inside consists of wheat (hence the name). You heat them in the microwave, so pls be careful.  They normally only have to be in for a couple of minutes and keep their heat very well.  Try experimenting with a hotwater bottle (chemists normally stock them), the downside being they get cold and feel clammy.  Wheaties obvioulsy cool down, but the are comfortable and a good size to drape over your knee. So go for it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.