TKR 5 weeks on

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi i had my TKR 5 weeks ago almost still very stiff im doing my exercises as i should had a real down day today

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi, I to felt like this I'm nearly 12 weeks in and its getting better keep up the exercises ( im still stiff in the morning) but moving about helps . You will get there but it is hard and soul destroying some days .

At least we all understand what you are going through most of the people on here have all been there.

• Posted

Yes, keep going, the exercises are do important. It was still really tough at 5 weeks and I had some terrible days when I felt really depressed and couldn't see it would ever improve. But suddenly around the 6 week mark I started to really feel some improvement. I'll be 8 weeks this coming Friday and I still get really stiff and swollen after doing too much (did a 3 mile walk with my trekking poles yesterday and am paying with pain and stiffness today). It's a game of patience unfortunately, and dogged determination. Stick at it and be reassured it WILL get better with time and commitment. GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

five to six weeks is still early...altho it seems like forever.

My TKR was early December and I thought I'd never get better.

but by early February I was driving and doing my own shopping and each week I progressed.

I stayed in physical therapy about ten weeks .. 3x a week for two months and 2x a week for 2 weeks.

my physical therapist listened to me....did not force pain...was patient but pushed me gently. He did not have the "no pain no gain" mentality, which I was grateful for. each person is different. I am 64 years old...out volunteering most days...but didn't expect the painful recovery that I experienced.

be kind to yourself but also work towards recovery with your exercises. its been 7 months and I do not regret the surgery.

there is still some stiffness....some swelling which is normal according to my surgeon. but other than not being able to kneel on a floor...I'm pretty much back to my every day life. I give a lot of credit to my PT. if you don't have one there are great exercises suggested on this site you can do on your own.

best of luck.

• Posted

hi x i had my TKR 7 weeks ago and every week is diffrent x you are still going to get stiffness for a whike yet but the more you do the better it gets x i use ice all the time and i still use a stick sometines x you will get ettbetterer better as time goes on x chin up x

• Posted

Hi its early days small steps lead to big ones. Had my 2nd 3 months ago and now pain free no stiffness yes a little twinge especially during the night on bed turning in my sleep but other than that GREAT. Going upstairs downstairs now pain free so another few weeks and youll not regret it. Listen to your body when it's telling you too much rest ice and meds. Good luck ignore the horror stories just take your time and you'll get there x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.