TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

New problem today at last have been able to do more exercises as pain killers doing some good as doc has upped them then bang scabs have started to dig into the very very tender scar tissue just don't know what to do its soooo painful if I had the courage to pull some off which I don't I would then be back to square one as they would at some point re form,just the slightest brush of any material hurts so much I'm in tears and I can take quite a lot of pain I'm not a whimp. I assume sooner or later they will come off on their own Help 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Once they start to come off they start to break up, and you can flick the bits off, it doesn't hurt so much then.

• Posted

I wish I could remember what my PT suggested I use. It was in India, but it was a legit cream - though it wasn't a cream, it was very light. It was clear and just a little thicker than water. I applied it to the scab. It moisturized and aided in the healing process. I've tried searching and can't find anything. It was Aqua or Hydra something, I'm almost positive...but that was late 2014, a lot has happened since then and I just can't recall. But perhaps you can ask a pharmacist or your doctor. It helped soften it. Did you try the recommendation of wrapping it in food grade plastic wrap or a silk scarf? I have never done that but have heard it being successful for others. Hang in there, it will get better!

• Posted

Chris, I recommend cold therapy.  Though you say even the slightest touch of any fabric is unbearable, you need cold on it.  Pain is a clear indication of inflammation/swelling.  Just because your doctor has increased your pain killers does not mean you should be increasing your physical activity.  By doing more physical activity, you are going to cause more pain and problems.  You need to heal before you push yourself.
  • Posted

Wrap the knee loosely with an ACE bandage.  It prevents rubbing against clothing during the day and the sheets at night.
    • Posted

Hi Chico I'm in England and I'm not sure what an ACE bandage is

• Posted

One of those stretch cloth bandages that come n different widths and lengths...I use a 4" one to cover a lot of area or a knee sleeve...

• Posted

I used unscented plain Vit E cream and massaged knee and scar from beginning I believe it makes a huge difference, it's early days, keep the faith  it will come right Cheers

• Posted

I found this jell called BioFreeze...VERY cold once it's massaged in.  Apply and wrap with an ACE or knee sleeve before bed. Ahhhhhh......  Note: Wash your hands well after application.

• Posted

I use Bio-Oil....thank goodness I never had any scabs...don't pull them off though!! Nature's protection!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.