TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone I had a tkr 7 weeks ago although doing well I have this band across the top of my knee which is painful at times swells up and feels like a tight elastic band preventing me bending the knee further to my 110 and feels very tight I can get upstairs and down but wondered if anyone else has experienced this

Jan

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Just part of the recovery process. I'm at 16 weeks and have all sorts of things going on occasionally. Just keep working it. Things will improve.

• Posted

Yours is the most common issue among the fraternity of this surgery. Its called the IT band and is a result of weak quads. You have to continue to do the exercises on a regular basis, ice it frequently, elevate when resting and drink plenary of water to hydrate those soft tissue areas. I've had 5 complete rehabs, the last o e starting a year and half ago hand still have to work on my qua's daily. Depending on your own body, the need for this may continue for a long time. Don't overdo it on the exercise but be slow and steady. Stay away from the desire to do impact and strenuous stuff until your body tells you its o.k.

For people who need to understand the word patience, this area will be your built in guide. Good luck and think back on my words around the 1st of july

• Posted

Listen to OFG1...totally normal.  Keep working to increase your ROM to +120 and beyond.  Gotta break through the scar tissue.  Even with great ROM and your quads rebuilt at the gym, you may still feel that "band" for up to 12-18 months.  I'm at 9 months and I still feel it from time to time but it's pretty much gone.  At 7 weeks, you've barely started your recovery.  The first three months are the hardest...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

You have a long way to go but don't be discouraged.  We all get past it.  Stay strong...kick a$$...

• Posted

Thank you I think I am being a little impatient !! I stopped taking all meds at 3 weeks as felt ok but the last couple of day no sleep and pain is awful from pushing myself too much is it wise to go back to the meds ... Jan
    • Posted

Noooooooooo.......  Most people I've talked to start tapering off the opioids in the 4-6 week range and are completely off them by 3 months...some a bit longer.  Your doc will probably substitute something like Tramadol or 800mg Ibuprophin TID to replace the heavy duty pain killers.  You will still need pain relief as you continue your PT and then the gym work.  Going cold turkey off of all meds at your point is definitely not recommended, especially if you're in so much pain.

Remember, this is NOT an endurance test!  No one is counting pills or days.  Stop with the unreasonable expecrarions.  In fact, have ZERO expectations.  Be Zen: I'll be better when I'm better.  No one can predict when you will be "recovered", especially you.

Stay strong, eat healthy, lose weight, HYDRATE, ice frequently, take your meds, sleep a lot, go to PT, work on your ROM, do the gym work to rebuild your quads after PT is done, use your walking aids as long as you need them...  Expect the pain but moderate it with the appropriate pain killer.  I'm 9 months and still not done.  I fully expect it to take a year and then have some lingering tightness, clicking and minor pain for at least six more months...maybe longer.

My doc said: "You have a huge mechanical device implanted in your body.  What the hell did you expect?"  Be realistic about this...you will never be who you were physically before the surgery.  There will be limitations on what you can do.  I had to give up competitive hockey but I hope to at least skate again.  Cut-throat shuffleboard is looking better every day... 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/do-s-and-don-ts-after-a-tkr-a-typical-list-541794

• Posted

Hi thank you for all your information I have gone back on meds and feel somewhat better and gym 4 times a week pt and consultant think I am doing great so will be more patient. Anyone still feel tired during the day? Some days I am exhausted and can't be bothered to do anything at all

Jan

• Posted

Can you climb the steps the normal way., reason why I'm asking is that I can't and I had my tkr aug.

• Posted

Mine was in March and yes I can...kinda...sorta...  Still not strong enough in my quads to do it easily or smoothly like when my knee was normal but it's getting there.  That's why it's so important to rebuild your quad.  

• Posted

Lay on your back with head elevated and leg straight. Slowly start tightening the muscles in your leg and lifting it off the bed at the same time. You dinthavetoraise it more the 6 to 8 inches the hold for count of 5. Repeat 10 times. Slowly lower the leg. Make all the movement slow and steady not herky jerkey. As you gain strength, increase the height, to a foot, count to 10 and reps to 15. Don't be in a hurry. Sad you are sitting around, gently tighten by just squeezing the muscle. Ice frequently and elevate after you are done with the exercises. Stay hydrated.

• Posted

Exercise Section...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

My daughter has been an ACSM- and ACE-Certified Personal Trainer and Rutgers University graduate Nutritionist for the past 15 years.  The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) certification takes two years of study and is the Gold Standard for trainer certification.  She's very, very good.  Trained the Rutgers University basketball team for two years.  5'1" girl kicked their 6'11" butts!!!  ACSM plus 15 ACE-certifications in cycling, water aeriobics, kick boxing and so many more.  Little kid; 38 y/o with a body made of steel.  Kicks p90's a$$...even after recovering 100% from breast cancer.  Remarkable woman with a 4 y/o son.  Knows her stuff cold!!!

You will notice that she starts with warmups and then stresses starting with low weights and high reps.  The methodology is to build endurance before strength.  Once you can do the reps, lower them and add weight.  Lots of stretching.

Before my hip replacement, I could do 90# on a leg curl using my quad.  After a hip replacement, where they cut the quad, I could only do 5#.  Took me less than 6 weeks in the gym and therapy pool, 5 hours a day to return to normal...but then I'm a rehab freak.  I take it very seriously.  But you can't push the knee like the hip.  This takes longer and you have to go slower.

Leg lifts, quad curls, leg presses, squats, calf lifts,glute extensions, all the core exercises, among others...these are the key.  Add in adductor and abductor work.  But you do all this on alternate days.  The other days, work your upper body.  Read the section.  Questions?  I can put you in touch with her...no problem.

Note:  This is NOT EASY.  You may feel like you are not progressing.  Cart it...you will see that you are.  Do not get discouraged...it takes time.  Knee swells...you did too much.  Be patient...it will come...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.