TKR

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am looking at a TKR next month Feb. and I was looking for any tips or secrets that you may have learned to make recovery smooth. I am 48.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sherry I'm 58 had tkr 4 months ago my experience & advice ice regularly 20 mins every 2 hrs elevate , make sure u do rom exercises ( even though they hurt ) take your medication as needed, you will have lows & highs its worth it I'm now cycling golfing nearly normal , you will get different sensations every day nerves etc but stay focused

Good luck

Rob x

• Posted

All brilliant advice Sherry. Ice became my best friend. definately keep on top of pin as it is harder for you to get back on top of it. Rest and let people look after you. Drink plnty of water...your body heals better if you are hydrated...yes you will run to the loo but you are advised to go for a wee walk every hour...just a wee one for first couple weeks so the loo and back is good. Definately do your recommended exercises. You will have good days and bad days. Do not rush back to work if you can. I had tkr March 2016, am 50 and was off 12 weeks...My GP chice not mine as I work as a classroom assistant full time 8 hours a day constantly on feet so take your time. Take care, hope all goes well. S
  • Posted

Marilyn mentioned a silky bag.   What I did was,I looked out my old fishing jacket (pockets of all sorts,galore) and wore it pretty much all the time.

It holds bottles,cups,phone,spectacles,wallet etc and allows me to transport pretty much anything from A to B,whilst manoeuvring two sticks .

i made up my mind to go easy on my wife and if I'm not always busy calling out "get me such and such" it then leaves her free to concentrate on rustling up some superb lunches and dinners.

its amazing what you can fit into pocketses,and if you have two sticks you can't carry anything,so ,although it will never be a fashion statement,the fishing jacket makes practical sense.

good luck

Mike

• Posted

I'm not going to repeat all the excellent advice already given, but can just think of one more thing to mention . . get one of the over the toilet seats to make it higher.  We women have to sit down much more than men, and believe me, getting back up is quite a struggle especially if there is nothing to hold on to.  Paper plates and glasses to avoid washing up as well . . only one little thing I wouldn't try for is the running, which is not much good for the new knee . . . It will be quite a while before you feel up to running anyway!  good luck and keep coming back to the forum!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.