TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

10 weeks post-out still having problems with the knee and painful swollen stiffness, heaven.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Take heart, friend. It will get better but takes time. I am 9 months post double tkr and it is good. Keep hanging there and doing your exercises. Be patient.
  • Posted

11 weeks post op tomorrow tkr and I still have knee stiffness and the scar is so sensitive to touch even now. Exercise everyday and still have weakness in my leg and the bend drives me crazy everyday!!
    • Posted

My PT massaged my scar with lotion & worked it back & forth. He said the more you touch it & work with it the less sensitive it will become. That was great advise. My scar is still sensitive to the touch but nothing like it was. It won't hurt to try. Good luck. wink

• Posted

A swollen knee almost always indicates that you pushed the knee too far...even at 8 weeks.  What?  Did you think you were done?  Not a chance.  This takes a year...period.  Get a FitBit of pedometer and track your steps.  Notice the number associated with knee swelling.  Back off and then increase gradually.

Example...  My knee was like a balloon at 5 weeks when I did 8,200+ steps one day.  Backed off and gradually increased.  At 8 months, I was doing 11,000+ steps (5 miles) with no swelling.  TAKES TIME!!!

• Posted

Hi Lucinda

I'm a year plus tkr survivor myself. I had bilateral tkr's last year, R in January,and L in March 2016. It must be because we're women and feel so much responsibility to "get things done " that we end up doing this to ourselves! It's like I would wake up in the morning feeling great and think, This is the day that I'll get everything done! And then I end up in pain and misery because I over did it...yet again!

Unfortunately you're in for the long haul. Living in discomfort is just the way it is until around that year mark, give or take a few months because we all heal differently.

Be Patient with yourself! You're healing and healing takes TIME!

Measure your progress by the week not by the day.

Chico had a great idea by his way of using a FitBit, but if you can't get a hold of one, try to listen to your body when it's saying enough is enough before going too far. Then you find yourself having to "chase" the discomfort with your pain meds.

This one is a hard lesson to learn. Believe me I beat myself up way too many times by overdoing it. Pace yourself as best as you can. I hope this helps.

God bless and Healing.

• Posted

Hi Lucinda, I'm also 10 weeks post Tkr & the same as you still have a lot of stiffness & bad nights. I seem to have one good day & 2 bad. I've now decided not to try so hard to get the bend which is 105 .Still exercise but not over do it. I can go. Upstairs but can't come down very well. Take care it's got to get better soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.