TKR 6 wks ago off to the THR forum next

Posted , 6 users are following.

Well had my 6 week post Op consultation with my surgeon today, very happy with how its all gone and sent for further Xrays on the hip, came back to see him after and now on the waiting list for a THR on the same left side.

So happy in how it's gone, honestly compared to bone grafts etc i have found it not bad at all, yes there was pain after surgery (GA) but i expected that and more.

So the Consultant expects about a 4 month wait, but i look at that as time which can only help me get prepared for the next Op, and still recover fully from this one.

Good luck to all, and thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you are doing great! Stay well and good luck with your next operation !
    • Posted

Many thanks and hope all is going or gone well with your treatment

Cheer's

• Posted

Get as strong as you can as quickly as you can.  I've had both done but in reverse order seven years apart.  IMHO, the differences:

- TKR recovery is insanely painful; THR not so much.  Done with the pain in a few weeks.

- TKR recovery cannot be pushed...overwork the knee and it swells.  Hip is completely different.  You can really push the hip...REALLY push it.

- TKR has all that scar tissue buildup while this is (probably?) not true with the hip.  It was never mentioned to me all those years ago and there was no direct PT to "break down" anything.  

- Both recoveries included PT that focused on range of motion; both recoveries REQUIRE rebuilding of quad, glute and core strength.

- For the TKR, my doc kept me away from water for six weeks; for the hip, I was in a therapy pool within two.

- At almost a year post-TKR, my knee is pretty good although my strengthening program is on hold due to my upcoming spinal stenosis surgery.  When I had the hip done, I was back at work eight weeks post-op as if nothing had happened.

How did that occur?  

- Four days in the hospital

- Six days in rehab

- Got home and ignored the doc's stricture on driving (rehab/gym/therapy pool center was less than a mile from home)

- Rehab 2x/week

- Therapy pool and gym FIVE HOURS A DAY, SIX DAYS A WEEK

- Went from 5-pound leg curls back to 70 plus leg pressing 230 pounds in six weeks...WITH THE BAD HIP SIDE ONLY! Yes, with the hip, they completely cut and therefore atrophy your quads.  Worst part of the op.

OK...so I'm a rehab freak (four knee scopes bilateral, two shoulder scopes bilateral, back fusion L3-S1, right hip replacement and now the left TKR).  My rehab times are typically 1/2 (and sometimes 1/3) of what the docs expect.  I ALWAYS bounce back quickly because I put the work into it.  That's why the TKR is so frustrating for people like me since we CANNOT push the knee replacement like we can do with hips, shoulders, knee scopes, etc. 

Just know that the hip is very different from the knee.  You CAN push it and recover very quickly if you set a goal and stick to a plan.  Then again, you can choose to be like a guy I met in hip rehab, sitting there waiting for the PT with his cane.  I asked him how long it had been since his surgery.  "A year", he replied.  The man will never walk without a cane again whereas I got back to normal in six weeks.

Yes, it's a choice.  Beat it or let it beat you.  Don't be on the losing side...

• Posted

Thanks Chico, I think a lot helped reading the great advice on here from fellow members, I am not much of a writer so just took in the info given by folk that have experienced it, did the work as my PT advised and so far it's all come good. 

all the best

• Posted

Well done Clive & all the best for THR.

Any ideas as to when it will be?

Good luck

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi Marilyn

My Consultant reckons around 4 months time, so looking at probably mid summer/ autumn.

Many thanks

• Posted

Excellent Clive, well done!:-)))))  It's quite wonderful being turned into the bionic man, isn't it (or bionic woman in my case!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.