Tkr

Posted , 8 users are following.

It's me again. Sorry, full of questions lol. Right, 4 weeks pre op. No swelling now on my leg at all, APART from my knee. It feels heavy and tight. Is this normal?

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm 5 weeks today and knee still feels tight but getting easier day by day. I'm able to sleep a bit better at night which is a BIG bonus. I've got a numb patch to the side of my knee still which physio said may take up to a year to come back 

• Posted

I've got that numb patch too. Good to know that it sounds normal, the tightness. Am I the only person on here that doesn't have a physio? Try a glass of wine lol

• Posted

I will be watching this as well....I’m 4 weeks today out from Partial (patella femoral). Knee is so swollen and stiff plus most of the time it just feels like someone is squeezing it!  And yes before everyone comes back and says ice, ice and elevate.....if I ice it anymore it’s going to freeze !!  LOL 😳

• Posted

I asked the physio about continuing to ice and she said only needed if in pain or there was any further swelling. She recommended having a bit of a sleep every afternoon to rest it 😄 No encouragement needed!!

• Posted

Hi Louise, no idea if it’s normal, everyone is different, but I’m 5 weeks post-op and I’ve got EXACTLY the same symptoms. Very tight knee and very little feeling same area too.  I find that Ice just makes my leg stiffer.  Feeling a lot better though like yourself, at least we’re getting more sleep now. If your knee is tight, how is your bend?  I’m now 80 degrees but struggling to get to the 90 and I’m dredding seeing my consultant in 10 days time. 
    • Posted

I don't have a clue what my bend is cos I've no one to measure it. I think it's got a tiny bit better but I'm not sure. I was 90 when I was discharged from hospital after 2 days. I'm waiting on an appointment to go back and see my surgeon, he said 8 weeks, so I won't really know till then

• Posted

Wow, 90 was very good on discharge. Maybe that’s why they haven’t sent you to physio. Unfortunately for me, I’m having to work really hard, they won’t let me drive until it gets to 90 & I’m getting so depressed not going out now, need to drive & see something...anything apart from Home & the physio! 

• Posted

Physio wasn't even mentioned. Im guessing nobody in my ward were offered it. I know what you mean about getting out. I've only been married 2 months and half of that's been taken up with this. Hubby is fantastic, but once he's away to work it's me and the 4 walls

• Posted

Hi everyone! What you are feeling is normal. I’m almost 11 months post TKR...I remember feeling as though here was a tourniquet around my thigh above my knee. Swelling lasts for a while...icing a LOT helped. I still use an ice pack occasionally as I have a little pain sometimes. We may have new knees, but the surrounding parts are “same old, same old”! The numbness is also normal, mine is starting to feel more like before, but just recently. Louise, I’m surprised you haven’t been sent to physio...you might want to ask about that. Good luck with the healing...it DOES get better!!
    • Posted

When I was done physio (22 sessions, all told), my knee started to stiffen up by the 3rd week. I joined a gym....and did aqua fit classes. I use the treadmill (low speed as I couldn’t walk too fast), and the recumbent bike. Now, I also use the leg press, and the elliptical machines. If you go that route, make sure you explain to the people at the gym that you’ve had a TKR, and just want to keep your knee moving, and building strength as time goes on. Only mentioned this in case you DON’T get physio. Good luck! 
    • Posted

Thank you. I'd love to go swimming but I don't know if I'd be able to up and down the steps

• Posted

I’ve been having hydrotherapy which has been great, although a little expensive. I’ve now decided to go to the local ‘learner pool’ to see if I can replicate the exercises done before. My local pool also do therapy sessions but it is the getting in and out of the large pool that could be tricky. At least I’m now at a stage where I want to exercise. It may be worth looking at local classes for yourself. 
    • Posted

I can't wait to go swimming, I'll have a look into hydrotherapy too. Thanks for that

• Posted

I don’t actually swim. Lol. The classes are just an hour long exercise class in the water. We have about 5 or so shallow steps, and I hold on to the rail to get in and out. The pool is only as deep as up to my neck/shoulders. Not that high on a lot of the people... I’m only 5’1”. Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.