Tkr

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm nearly 7 weeks post op now and I'm still really tender and my knee is still swollen. Just an idea but do you think if I massaged baby lotion it would help?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

louise, ice and elevation are still the go to  for pain and swelling. that said once my incision was healed  my PT encouraged my to massage for 5 minutes 3x a day. I used lotion and/or  vitamin e oil whichever has handier. I still do at 5 months and 2 months.  
  • Posted

Hi Louise. Once my incision was healed- about 2 weeks as I had no clips of stitches to be removed- I started gently massaging my knee. Used Bio-oil or some bland body moisturizing cream and when I started physio at 3 weeks the guy used E45 cream to work on soft tissues around the joint. Really helpful in improving range of movement and also wound scar. I only massaged night and morning and was careful over actual wound. Felt a bit strange as had ,and still have, a numb area at one side of knee but expected this. I'm now 4 + 1/2months post op,no swelling but still some pain especially if I do too much during the day eg the ironing. Have now accepted that other knee needs operated on too and may have to do it all again in the new year- don't know if it will be easier knowing what's ahead this time or if I know all the tricks now! This forum saved my sanity when I discovered it 3 weeks after my op!

• Posted

Hi Louise 

I’m 10 days post op and I feel that by massaging the thigh muscle especially during exercise is very helpful and using baby lotion would be as good a lubricant as any.

My advise is to really massage the muscle to get maximum strength 

Hope you find this if sone help 

• Posted

That type oil is a waste of time and money. I've always used pure Vitamin E oil massaged in twice a day. Others use Bio oil but it takes a product that penetrates and heals. Vit E heals all the way to the bone because it penetrates rapidly. Keep in mind, this isn't an overnight remedy. It takes time and continuity.

• Posted

I used magnesium lotion to aid muscle relaxation and healing; once the incision was healed,  I used organic castor oil. Now 6 months post TKR the scar is well healed and almost invisible in most places. 
  • Posted

My pain and swelling is bottom right of my knee so I just rub voltarol gel in that area. I still massage bio oil around the scar and on it and it's disappearing in places. Rest of the time ice and elevation X 

• Posted

I used and still use Shea butter and coconut oil or cocoa butter. 

Elavation and ice pack help with pain swelling. 

• Posted

Around two weeks post op I massaged olive oil with frankincense which I was doing pre op. Pulled hands upwards towards heart while elevating. Whole leg, avoiding incision of course. I found the smell of essential oil totally relaxing, and relaxing after a TKR is very good for the whole body!
    • Posted

Thank you to everyone who replied to my question. I do put bio oil on my scar and that's healing nicely. I'll give the massaging a try and I really do need to ice and elevate more than I do now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.