Tkr

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a total knee replacement 17 days ago.no one warned me how incredibly painful it would.i was given painkillers to take but was so nauseous I couldn't eat or take all of them.My doctor gave me Stemital which made it a bit better.8 days after the op I was feeling clammy then cold.my doctor thought the side of my knee was a bit warm so gave me penicillin,which I had in hospital for 3days.she also changed my codeine for Tradol.i took one that night and had an allergic reaction to it.caredoc called the ambulance but luckily didn't need to go to hospital.meds changed again.

i had my staples out 2days ago but for last 4/5 days I have been getting bad tingling/burning and stabbing pains around the scar.i am getting hardly any sleep.even with 4 painkillers I was awake most of the night.has anyone any idea what this is.(I am able to stand on new knee)

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Barbara it sounds like you need to find a pain killer that suits you to start with. It's really important to stay on top of your pain. My appetite was really poor for 3 weeks post op I think I lived off breakfast bars, I'm 7 weeks post op now and I still have a poor appetite but it's getting better. I've had the same feelings around my scar I think it's all part of the healing process, get some ice in it it helps. Even though it's sore massage all around the scar with something like bio oil to help break down scar tissue. Your scar will look better for it and it helps loosen the knee up to aid movement. Being awake at night is quite normal I don't worry too much about it I will just sleep when I want to. Good luck with your recovery. There is always someone on this forum to talk to who is going through the same experience so you're not alone X 

• Posted

Are you using crutches or a walker and are you in UK?
    • Posted

Nothing in the house.crutches when I went to supermarket yesterday for a while
    • Posted

You could try using support all the time and see if it reduces pain maybe?

Are you going to see a physiotherapist? They may advise you?

• Posted

Hi Barbara!

I'm thinking the stabbing pain you are feeling just might be the nerves awakening. I would feel this from time to time even into year two post op!

Take your temperature every few hours to assure yourself that you do not have a fever. Infection usually brings fever, and if your temperature is normal you have dodged infection.

Nights can be pretty sight following a knee replacement. I did a lot of little naps throughout the day when I would drift off for a few minutes then waken. I got most of my "night's sleep" THEN! I found that busying myself at night by journaling, walking around, visiting this site, stretching, even cleaning out a drawer (!!!) would keep my mind off things and get me back to sleep a bit just through exhaustion, I guess! Whatever gets you through the night (hummed that song a lot, too!!) is fair game!!!

Pain meds can be challenging! So many did NOT agree with me or were useless. I began Ibuprofen after finishing my blood thinner shots. The Ibuprofen STILL works best for me as needed.

Take care.

Things WILL get better.

Try to distract yourself with anything that will help you focus on something other than pain. Even a short distraction will provide some help to keep you going.

(TKRs June and October 2015)

• Posted

thank you Cheryl.trying to get to box fixed in my room so I can watch tv if I can't sleep

• Posted

You had a. Tremendous amount of nerve damage and some of the nerves are starting to heal. You will have this sensation off and on for some time. If it gets extremely irritating, you might ask the Dr about gabepentin or lyrical. Both are for near nerve issues. Sorry about the discomfort but as you will hear over and over, we are all as different in our healing as we are with our fingerprints. One thing for sure, you have to do everything possible to fight the pain because pain will keep you from do I ng the exercises that will eventually get you back to normal. This is a long, slow process and there are no shortcuts. Unfortunately, that mountain is a different climb for each of us. Time and patience are the keys but in the weeks and months ahead things will gradually improve. Best wishes
    • Posted

thank you very much.going to try bio oil massage and speak to doctor.feels better once u know it's all normal.

• Posted

Thank you to everyone who replied to my message.feel better about it now.

one thing I did find on the internet that was helpful was how to make my own ice packs.

get a strong ziplock bag.add 1/2 cup salt.add water 12x1/2 cup.remove excess air then seal.place in another bag and freeze.turns out like slush puppy but doesn't go hard like peas etc.add more salt if it does.keep in freezer.make new on after 6 months.easier to mound around your limb.

• Posted

Time is the key and a ton of being nice to yourself!

Listen to your knee it will tell you what to do 😄

I used organic coconut oil to break up the scar tissue and massage my knee!

I had an allergic reaction to the bio oil 

I am 10 months out and finally can walk without a limp no pain unless I over due

Don’t have to ice and sleep well!

The surgeon doesn’t tell you the highs and lows of Tkr!

This forum as been a life saver for me!

You will get to the other side in your own time!!

• Posted

The symptoms around the scar are normal and will last a while longer, decreasing over time.  I'm 20 months and only feel some nerve tingling when I kneel on the new knee.  Very common.  At the beginning, I had an automatic ice machine on my knee almost 24 x 7 for weeks and weeks...helped a lot.  Ice, meds, elevation all help.  This will pass.

There's also Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) which is a GREAT topical anti-inflammatory, especially at bedtime.  Just keep it away from the incision line if that's not healed yet.  I used it a few times a day.  Also helped a lot.

The meds are tricky since you don't know how you'll react.  It's very common to switch meds, dosages and timing to find the right balance for just you.  Hydrocodone (Vicodin, Norco) and Oxycodone (Percocet) are pretty common; codeine-specific drugs are seen more in the UK.  In other words, we all start on some heavy duty opioids and titrate down over time.  Tramadol, although still classified as an opiate, is a lot weaker and is the primary transitional medication to go from hydro/oxy down to plain NSAIDs or Tylenol.  Most people are off all the opioids within 60 days or so.  Talk with your doc to find the right meds for you.

"No one warned me how incredibly painful it would [be]..."  Welcome to the real world...NONE OF US WERE TOLD ANYTHING!!!!  I should have taken the blue pill...

• Posted

Thank you for replying.i am 19 days post op now.did u find your whole knee feels tight at the front thus making it hard to bend.i thought it was just the staples keeping it stiff.have been using bio oil since yesterday.i really want to do the exercises but it's nearly impossible to bend it

• Posted

Barbara I still get that tightness across the front of the knee, just keep bending it it soon frees up x
    • Posted

Not the staples...it's the scar tissue building up in your knee that has to be broken down.  The swelling doesn't help either and that has to be controlled by ice and elevation.  You have to do the tough PT work to get rid of the scar tissue; the swelling will decrease over time.  Voltaren Gel is a great topical anti-inflammatory, especially at bedtime.  This takes time, work and patience.

• Posted

Thanks snoozy.think it's still bit too bruised but I am trying it.up with surgeon in two weeks so can check.x

• Posted

Rather than trying to walk without support, Try and focus on reducing swelling. You can buy good gel packs which are better than peas. Did the hospital send you home with an ice cuff and some gel packs?

The important thing is to work on your bend right now...even though it is not easy keep on trying to nudge it along. Have you got an appointment to see a physiotherapist yet? If not maybe phone the hospital and chase it up.

Did they give you a book with exercises in? It is very important you try and do them to the best of your ability.

Are you in the UK?

• Posted

Jenny's right...  Why are you trying to walk without support?  You will get rid of the walker/crutches/cane when, and only when, it's time to do so.  This isn't a contest to see how quickly you can ditch that stuff.  Use them as long as you need to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.