Tkr

Posted , 4 users are following.

How long will my knee be swollen for? It's not sore and it's not stopping me do anything but it's still big. I'll be 10 weeks on Monday

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Im 10 weeks this Thursday. Mine is still swollen but not as much as it has been. I'm still getting pain in mine especially when doing ROM exercises again not having to take as many pain meds. I invested in air cast cryocuff  and that reduced the swelling no end. It ices the knee while adding compression at the same time. Maybe try some compression therapy as long as you don't have circulatory Robles of course X 

• Posted

It will be swollen for as long as it is swollen.  That's it.  No one can answer that question.  We can say with absolute confidence that if you push the knee too far any given day that it will swell more.  Overall, It will probably take a year to look in the mirror and see both knees fairly the same size.  Then again, I'm 20 months post-op, and the new knee still looks a tad larger and shaped ever so slightly differently.  Why?  Because there's a 2 1/2-pound hunk of metal in there!!!  That will never make it look perfectly like the old one.  That's a battle scar you will wear proudly for life.

• Posted

I'm really proud of my scar definitely not scared to show it off 😃

• Posted

I read that it doesn't weigh any more than a normal knee. It doesn't look any different from day 1. Maybe a tiny bit but definitely not much

• Posted

I couldn't care less who sees my scar, I'm not ashamed of it either but I'd like to wear a dress at Xmas but knee looks fat

• Posted

Hi Louise,

I'm 14 weeks post-op Ltkr and my knee is still swollen and a bit stiff, but like you, it doesn't stop me from doing most things.  Just from reading this forum, what we're experiencing is very normal, just longer for some than others.  Each day I feel an improvement in the swelling.  It use to feel like I had a 50 pound weight around my knee, now maybe a 15 pounder! I try to go up and down our stairs at least 8-10 times each day, that seems to help.  Just don't overdo things, your knee needs time to repair itself.

Best of luck!

Cherry🍒

• Posted

I still need to hold onto the stair railing to keep my balance, but I can bend my knee well enough to walk up and down normal.  I usually have to do my stretches before I start my 'stair marathon', but when I'm done my bend always feels pretty good.  I'm 71 years old so this is a great exercise for me.  I also do my elliptical for 15-20 minutes everyday, but I add a few minutes every week until I can get to 30 minutes a day.  I found throughout this journey that I need to keep going no matter how swollen or tight my knee feels because that's the only way to go forward.

Btw, you wear that Christmas dress, you've earned it!  Merry Christmas 🎄 

Blessings,

Cherry🍒

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.