TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone I hope you all had a great christmas.

Can anyone tell me if they have a problem with their knee locking at night ( it is very painful) I would like to know if it is normal or should I see my consultant I am 14 weeks post op. I can do most things now, it is just this problem at night. Any advice would be very welcome.l

Happy New year, I hope everyone on here has a happy , healthy new year

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi deb,does it actually lock up or become very stiff with lack of activity during the night,with me even if I lie on the settee watching tv my knee stiffens up after a while,but I wouldn’t say locks up.Your probably due to see your consultant again shortly so if it is locking definitely mention it, they may x Ray it for you.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply, yes it definitely locks it is very painful to move in fact I quite often wake my husband up because I cry out in my sleep.

Happy New year

• Posted

Hi Deb, are you sleeping with your knee straight at night? I get awful pain if the knee is either too flat or I have moved in the night & it is a little bent at the wrong angle! 

Is the knee actually locking or just really stuff from being in one position?

If it's locking I think you should speak to your surgeon, it shouldn't lock esp when you are not weight bearing.

Ultimately, if you think there is a problem speak to someone, & don't let them fob you off.

I had that before I left hospital, the dressing had leaked & I know you are not supposed to leave it so mentioned to the nurse. The sister looked at it & said she would speak to the registrar. Then another sister looked at it & said that it was ok, but if I insisted she would speak to the reg! I insisted & he said change the dressing! So don't let anyone tell you without examining you that all is well when you believe it isn't!

All the best

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

HI Deb

My knee does not really lock, but does click sometimes when straightening after sitting or laying with my knee bent.  It is not painful and does not happen when I walk, just feels like something is catching at certain angles of movement.  Most often it happens when I get out of the car after a long journey, when I stretch after sleeping with my leg bent, or when straightening up after bending to a low oven or fridge.  I suspect it may be due to scar tissue but as it does not really bother me, I am ignoring it in the hope that one day it will go away.

As yours is painful, it is probably best to speak to your consultant or physio if you can to get advice on the best way to deal with it.

• Posted

Yes it is painful, it also gives way occasionally, yes I think I need advice from the consultant.

Happy New year

• Posted

I can remember mine getting a bit tighter at night, but not locking.
  • Posted

My knee has been locking unexpectedly day and night when I sit or lay down. But it is locking less as my muscles get stronger. My LTKR was May 2017 but post op complications left my knee bent at a 45 degree angle for 3 months. And the bent knee left me unable to walk so I have been in a wheelchair to get around. To avoid more surgery to remove scar tissue that was keeping the knee bent, I started massage therapy, used magnesium lotion with a Gua Sha tool to successfully break up scar tissue, a JAS brace 30 minutes 3X daily and worked with a hands on physical therapist who helped me to straighten from 45 degrees to 8 degrees within 8 weeks. ( I will get to zero in time) When my knee locks and I am unable to straighten it, after sittting or at night when I'm sleeping, I can work it out with some stretching. As my muscles are getting stronger, it's taking less time to unlock my knee so I am hoping it is just a muscle building issue. For me, because of scar tissue and being in a wheelchair since May, I believe the locking will stop as my muscles get stronger. My leg is now straight enough to start walking with crutches. I've had 4 appointments with my surgeon and 3 X-rays that look fine. My next appointment is in late January and I will ask my surgeon what he knows about knee locking. Please post your progress and good luck. Overall it sounds like you are doing well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.