TKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am tkr at 5 weeks on 1/09/2018.  I am having tremendous shooting pains on my outer knee at this time.  I had a few of these shooting pains during the 1st week and then off and on but now it is almost constant like something isn't moving right.  I am not talking about the electrical shocks, I get those and those are different.  Has anyone experienced this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Catherine,  I'm nearly 15 weeks post op now. Do the shooting pains radiate down into your calf muscle? It could possible be the sciatic nerve. If you move your foot forwards and backwards as quickly as you can it flosses the nerve and can ease it. I ended up taking amitriptyline at night in order to sleep as this pain used to be worse at night. Hope this helps Sue x

• Posted

Snoozy69,  Thank you for answering.  I had the pain down my calf in my 1st-3rd week but I did, as you have suggested, stretch.  I still stretch every day and that is not the pain I am currently feeling.  I have had my leg straight and it has locked up so I have to get my hands under my knee and shake it till it bends.  I get a pain on the outer side of my knee, near my patella.  It will sometime shoot down the outer side of my calf when I get a "popping" on the outer knee.  This has happened since my surgery but the biggest "pop" came when my leg was straight.  I have been exercises to stand and sit while having equal usage from both legs.  This motion seems to have exacerbated the issue.  It happened about 4 times yesterday resulting in extreme swelling that has not gone down since yesterday.  I do ice and elevate often. 

• Posted

Hi Catherine and yes I have those as well ( Iam 9 weeks Post op) it comes and goes and when it comes it takes your breath away... unfortunately its normal sad 
    • Posted

MarieMichelle,

Thank you very much for your reply on this.  I have not had my 1 1/2 month Dr. visit yet; that is on the 23rd of this month so I did not ask anyone.  I have all ready called about pain pills being something I can not have and I wanted some others but they did not want to get them so I do not take any right now.  I am going to try and start taking an equal dosage of THC and CBD and see if that helps.  

• Posted

I’m nearly two years post op and wished I’d never had it done. I hope yours is more of a success but I feel basically crippled from it all. To think I thought it would all be over in six weeks!!

Best of luck

I hope your shooting pains are temporary 

My advice is to keep a diary or log of all your symptoms 

X

• Posted

Mary1201,

Thank you for your reply.  I am sorry this is going on like this for you.  My mom had 2 TKR and it took a toll on her for about the 1st 3 1/2 -4 years.  Now she says she would do it again and can walk at least 5 miles at a time, probably more.  She lost 60pds, was probably close to 200 overweight, and she is still losing.

Can you elaborate on what is going on with you that makes your condition debilitating?    I do wish you the recovery my mother had after a battle!

• Posted

Mary1201,

Thank you for your reply.  I am sorry this is going on like this for you.  My mom had 2 TKR and it took a toll on her for about the 1st 3 1/2 -4 years.  Now she says she would do it again and can walk at least 5 miles at a time, probably more.  She lost 60pds, was probably close to 200 overweight, and she is still losing.

Can you elaborate on what is going on with you that makes your condition debilitating?    I do wish you the recovery my mother had after a battle!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.