TKR

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi I am day 4 after a total knee replacement, I am really tired and sore.

I know it will be worth it long term, but right now I really wish I had not had it done. Has anyone else felt like that please

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wish I wouldn't of had mine done deb got my TKR 2nd March coming up to a year and I'm actually worse now but consultant said I'm one of the unlucky 20% and only time will tell. All down to nerve damage. But getting injection into the nerves in a couple of weeks so hopefully there maybe some relief. Good luck I'm sure you will be fine.

• Posted

eileenni one of unlucky ones too. waiting on 5th tkr at minute its no joke is it
    • Posted

Oh gosh so sorry for you they haven't offered for me to have another one I wish they would can't stand the continuous tightnes

• Posted

Geez April, how many legs have you got? Lol.  5 knee replacements!!!   I wouldn’t have thought they’d open up the scar that many times.  You must be so brave or secretly in love with your surgeon 😁.  Well done!

• Posted

I know the feeling I've had mine done 6months now and I dont diet pain through the day but night time in bed I realy suffer im worse than before the operation . Good luck with the injections

• Posted

Hi Deb,

It will get better I promise.  Just keep doing your exercises and stretches. It just takes time and patience.  I had bilateral knee replacements in the summer of 2016 and getting knee  replacements was a life changer for me. Hang in there and don’t be be discouraged. 

• Posted

Hi Deb, I think if you ask anyone after four days, they might feel the same, the pain, the swelling, the feeling that it’s going to take forever to heal and you never expected it to be this bad. Give it a week, then two weeks, you will progressively improve and keep up the exercises and the icing, and as time passes,yes you will be glad you had it done.

I had both mine done, at different times and it has been so worth it.I was a virtual cripple before, the pain was horrendous. I hope you feel the same,just give it time.

• Posted

Hi the first two weeks are the worst. Try to relax and go with the flow and keep up your meds and ice. I even took a cool bag to bed with me and iced during the night. I was doing great till this pain under my knee came. It does get better x
  • Posted

I am 11 days in and the pain does get less as x goes by..the p.t. is brutle but must be done..lets keep each other motivated deb..we are newbies!
  • Posted

Deb,the TKR operation is brutal and it will be sore and black and blue for a while yet,my experience was more sleep deprivation not through pain really more discomfort,I used to hate going to bed because I knew I’d be up after an hour and awake all night but if it’s any use to you I went to see my GP and got some prescription sleeping pills I took one every other night so they lasted longer and my god what a difference they made,actually getting 5-6 hours sleep makes the world of difference and stopped me from moving into depression.
  • Posted

The pain will decrease you just had major surgery. Ice, pain meds, and elevate
  • Posted

Hi Deb have you had another TKR then?  You had one 5 and a half months ago, how are you getting on with that one? 

you must still remember what the early days are like I was like a zombie for the first two weeks 😂

• Posted

Yes i have had the second one done, I think you forget pain quite quickly, I know I must have done.

This pain seems so bad!! I know it will be the same. I am so so tired, it maybe because it is soon soon after the last one.

I have to remember the first one is still healing I suppose. It was 5 months and one day after the first one

• Posted

Hi I'm 12 weeks into my recovery from tkr. I get terrible pain under my knee in the tibia bone. I also feel like my ligaments at the back of my knee give way sometimes. Has anyone else had the same ??

• Posted

I've only just gone back to work I did 7 hours on Friday when I came home I was really tired. I can't imagine what I would be like if I had another TKR at this stage.....probably in a comma.

Hat off to you I don't think I would put myself through that so soon x

• Posted

Gracious!

Two!

Well done! Start polishing your medal!

Tiredness is really going to affect your mood, so bear that in mind. Hope you feel better, well, we all know the word "soon" is never soon enough, but as rapidly as possible!

Yes, just about half way there with the first one...nowhere near finished.

Are you needing a bit more pain medication maybe?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.