TKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

It’s been 7 months since my TKR did anyone else find one leg now shorter than the other???  With low back issues?? Thank you 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes my 2nd TKR LEG is shorter and also turning in can't stand or walk unless legs are apart problem with pain in hip and groin but pain only there when overdoing it

• Posted

Yup.  Most frequently happens when we throw our hips/pelvis out of alignment by changing our gait to avoid pain.  PT measured me at 1/2".  Chiropractor fixed me up in a few weeks @ 2x/week.  Just have to get the correct alignment to hold.

Many people freak out and buy expensive orthotics for their shoes and now have a permanent hip misalignment.  Not a good idea.

The chances of the docs making such a mistake are pretty small...although not impossible.  I'd start with chiro and/or PT to correct the alignment problem.  Worked for me.

• Posted

Hi Chico,

if u can remember I have had 2 knee replacement, first 30/1/17, 2nd 25/7/2018, pretty exacting few problems along the way but Straight and pretty good ROM.  My gait for many years was bent legs and favouring to throw feet inwards.  I have now developed pain in my outer heel on the first replacement a year later. Since developing this I have had inserts made to make me walk more on the outside of my foot to stop leg bending again, u seem to advise against this? I am trying gentle stretching as the Podiatrist tells me the painis at the bottom of my Archillis tendon due to shortened calf muscles, don’t know if I’m doing right to doing wrong. Thought after 2 knee replacements all problems would be solved, but seems not to be, bit despondent.

• Posted

What I recommend against is that people immediately go out ON THEIR OWN and get orthotics without looking into other causes of their gait problem.  Docs LOVE to sell them but the patients may not need them.  I always go for the least expensive, least invasive methods first.  If a chiro says your hips, pelvis and back are completely aligned and you still have a problem, then you look further and find the correct solution.

My wife had a brain aneurysm and two TIA strokes causing nerve damage in her right leg.  This left her with "drop foot" plus her right foot turned inward.  This is something beyond the power of really anyone to fix since the nerves are gone.  Over 7 1/2 years, she would fall frequently, damaging her knees and eventually ripping her rotator cuff in half requiring two ops to fix it. 

So we had her right calf and foot cast in the correct position and had an AFO brace made for her.  (Hers is similar to the one in the picture; she got it in purple and decorated it with 60's art...if you wear it, ya gotta OWN it!!!)  Inserted into her shoe and strapped to the calf, this hinged brace keeps her foot in the absolute correct position when she walks.  No more falling.

So, I'm not against orthotics when they are necessary...sometimes other factors are the cause of people walking "funny" causing pain, frequently sciatica.  Heel pain is something different.  Is it because of your foot turning inward?  Do the investigation required.  Maybe you need a brace too...

• Posted

I’ve always been pen toed , my Dad was and one of my daughters is, family trait I guess. Over the years with knee injury seemed to walk on inside of foot, hence two bent legs which the surgeon dealt with, still throwing feet inward and walking on inside of foot, pain started in heel before insol when I made determined effort to walk more on outside of foot, so not go down the same road although pain free with knees, I’m certainly walk easier with the insoles and it does help with gait, still heel pain though, perhaps give it a bit longer and reassess.
    • Posted

Maybe you need different or better padded insoles.
    • Posted

I had  moulds taken of both feet and made for me . Think I need to wear all the time so new slippers ordered for indoors and possibly new shoes now both knees done, expensive business but after the last year I’m pressing on as u say own it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.