TKR

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all now going into 4.1/2 weeks post op I’ve been to hell and back could not get pain under control consultant was not very sympathetic he had no bed side manner knee became infected due to an internal stitch causing an abscess bloods swabs taken antibiotics made me ill kneehasti be packed every other day by the nurse or my self if it’s to messy 

Infection control  Nurse phoned this morning to see how I’m going she was very nice and sorry that I’ve been unlucky 

Undoing my exercises daily now seeing friends as I was feeling very depressed 

Should be going back to work in 2 wks dont think that will happen 

Right knee also needs doing but after this I don’t think I could cope

I’m trying to stay positive as that’s the best thing to do 

I hope know body else is suffering stay strong all 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Kathleen, sorry to hear about your ordeal. Its difficult enough without the added problems and issues. Don't even think about your other knee at this point...things will change over time and you will get better!

• Posted

Thank you I won’t rush the other knee can wait but to be pain free that is all we want 
  • Posted

Hi. I know what you are going through I had the same probs couldn't get pain under control had to go back into hospital for pain relief injections my surgeon was brill and understanding, eventually they put me on gabapenten and shortec and within a few days the pain eased it never went away but it did ease it to bearable pain, i am now 4 months in still slight pain but back   in work now 4 weeks, everyhthing is getting better its been a long haul when you think some people have hardly any pain? i was just unlucky to have an infection in my knee, I wont be having the other one done unless i am actually crawling lol, hope you are better soon we are all different when it comes to surgery take care  MAX

• Posted

Me either Max.  My right knee can be killling me, and I still won't go in to have another TKR,

• Posted

Oh, you have no idea how I suffered, for months.  I had a good surgeon, but he can't prescribe narcotics but for two weeks, then he gave me tramadol, which did noting.  Aleve seems to work for me.  Im 6 months po.  Yeah, I was in that 10% that doesn't heal quickly......  I wish you all the healing my friend.....

• Posted

Sorry to hear you have had those problems, hope things start to improve. 6½ weeks is very early to return to work. Don't go back before you are really ready, you wont be doing yourself any favours if you do. I was off work 6 months each knee, first one almost 20 years ago second 18 years ago.

• Posted

I wish we were neighbors and could support each other through this! I was in same misery had left TKR May 17th had manipulation 2 weeks ago. I was in hospital with horrible swelling that felt like my toes were going to pop off. That kept me from therapy which disappointed my Dr but like I said if u can barely stand how in Gods name can u do therapy!! My Dr bedside manner isn't good and I had to see pain management Dr before finally get to g right meds. Even with the meds who wants to be in pain every day and in need of pills Not Me!!! I also need right one done but as I told my Dr it will fall off before I do this again. Huge regret I'd have kept the old pain this is worse ever including childbirth!! I want a knee Put Back! And the depression creeps up some days when the pain is really bad and you don't wanna seem whinny to others who just don't get it. God Bless and help us all. I Pray you feel better and your knee gets to a new best soon.

• Posted

Hi Angela yes it would be nice we need to stay strong but I won’t be rushing to get the other one done I suffered for 2yrs before I could not stand the pain any longer but my god this pain is vile the nurse who repacked it this afternoon has taken  measurements  So fingers crossed by Wednesday it’s smaller you take care stay strong and keep positive xx
    • Posted

Girl I have said the exact same things..   esp the part about childbirth.  At least you get a bundle of joy!   And if I could, I would go back in time and never visit an orthopedics office.   I'm 6 mths out.  Never had the MUA.  I think the zbritish docs do that too frequently.  Just my opinion

• Posted

Trying to follow me down misery lane?? I had my 6th revision on the same knee on the 18th approx same time frame. I was told based on as many surgeries I have had on the same knee it may take 6 months or more before I feel better. I know what its like to feel miserable it starts form the moment I wake up and get out of bed pains kicks into high gear as the day wears on going to be helps but getting comfortable is a pain as well. We will get thru this but it is going to take lots of patience!!
  • Posted

Even under normal circumstances I think 6 wks too soon to go back to work , mine still painful then . I found it suddenly improved at 8-10 wks 
    • Posted

Thanks Jenny I just hate being off sick I think I must of been living in dream land thinking 6 wks was going to be enough but that’s me 

I love work and miss it very much but at the end of the day we are just a number 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.