TKr

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 5 months post tkr, i still have a lot of stiffness in my knee, just wondering does it ever go away, my new knee still doesn't feel like its mine , any suggestions are greatly appreciated

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It does get better, I had my TKR Jan 2018 and for me it took about a year for everything to feel "normal". But it is different for everyone. Hang in there, it does get better.

• Posted

Stiffness, tightness, "band-like feeling" goes away, very, very gradually. Will usually take a year...sometimes longer. They key is activity. After the pain part is done, you have to rebuild all the atrophied musculature to walk correctly, regain your balance and do stairs like a normal person. You will NOT notice that one day the stiffness is there and the next day it's gone for good. The more likely scenario is that one day (a year plus), you will realize that your knee hasn't felt stiff in a while. Good day. However...

Long-term TKRers will warn you that unless you keep the knee active, the stiffness will absolutely return. This is a lifelong recovery requiring a possible change in lifestyle. Sedentary is out; active is in. Also, you will most likely feel pain long term when kneeling on concrete, tile, hardwood floors, etc. This is NOT your knee...it's the nerves. It may fade in time but probably never completely disappear. Use a 4" foam pad inside and padded tactical knee pads outdoors. NEVER kneel on a hard surface. It won't harm anything but why experience the pain when it can be avoided.

• Posted

Before i had my tkr in october 22 2018 , i shattered my knee cap in april 9 2016, so it was very stiff before i even had my tkr, i walk great no limp , i have good balance , my range of motion is 135 , stairs are not to bad , sometimes going down it will bother me. Any recommedations for a certain excercise to improve stiffness , i've heard from some people that accupuncture for stiffness might help , what do you think? Thank you

• Posted

You are just 5 months p/o...the stiffness will just not go away quickly. At this point, you should be rebuilding all the atrophied musculature that supports the knee...

Post TKR Exercising

This alone could help resolve the stiffness by keeping the knee active...and that's the key word...ACTIVE...forever...lifelong activity. I've had acupuncture relieve pain in the past but have not heard it used to alleviate post-TKR stiffness. Remember...push the knee at your own risk.

I had minor stiffness at 12 months; pretty much gone at 18. There is no "day" that it disappears...after a while, you just realize it's gone. At three years p/o, I have zero issues. Minor stiffness only returns when I'm too sedentary...but using our new hydrotherapy tub with 62 jets almost every night is FANTASTIC for the metal knee...and the metal hip...and the two fusion metal spine. I'm the TSA's worst nightmare at the airport.

• Posted

i have definitely pushed my knee with excercises , thank you for your suggestions i appreciate it a lot. you certainly have been through a lot

• Posted

i'm 6 1/2 months PO. It is better than it was, still stiff, every day is different I have set 12-18 months as my should be better mark

• Posted

Your right everyday is different, i hope we both can get rid of the stiffness, thats my biggest obstacle , i know its still early but i'm so ready for it to be gone

• Posted

I had one 7 years ago and in dec 2017 they are both fine but can always feel them , cant really explain , I have good movement , can walk etc fine but they are never quite like the real thing! Even after 7 years some days I feel a bit of discomfort . It will improve , 5 months is still early . Dont overdo it either . I was lucky both times I had very little swelling which made movement easier and had no scar issues . Good luck

• Posted

Bangkok-Johnny. 5 TKR Operations: Primary TKR and followed by infection thereafter deep cleanings and a Two-Stage TKR revision. Discharged Oct 2018. Physio Therapy. Three months " stretch & bend " building up the atrofied muscles. Still stiffness and pain in the mornings. Going downstairs a problem. First sideways. Practice helps. Walking, now two months without crutches. Practice "Heel & Toe". Sensible shoes.

**NOW to my favorite exercise the SWIMMING POOL and Daily WALKING (forwards/backwards) & SWIMMING. This is a highly recommended exercise for all TKR's . Aquatherapy it helps you improve your gait and improves yout mental health.

• Posted

your bionic knee as i like to call mine, will never feel like its yours .. its a feeling that personally i dont think you ever get used to. Kneeling is a no no as it feels just so wrong

2 years on and some days my aching needs ibuprofen and a good rub and it can ache almost as much as my other knee which will need replacing soon.

my ROM is excellent but it feels very heavy compared to my other knee especially when i'm tired.

Good luck on your long and sometimes very painful road to recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.