Tkr 7 weeks now I'm only at a 69 %bend

Posted , 6 users are following.

OK tkr was on June 30th so 7 weeks ago.I'm going to pt 3 times a week and my bends only at 69% I'm moving up on my bend like abturtle.I'm so very worried. PTTHEY just keep telling me it will get better.I listen to people on here and 100%bend oh my I would be so happy.Why am I not getting my bend ..

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I wrote a similar reply to someone yesterday....not getting the bend is scary. I'm hovering at 70 degrees (on a good day) at 6 weeks post op. This is my second tkr in 18 months (I've had to have all ligaments removed as previous one would not bend or straighten at all).

I have suffered with my deteriorating leg for years following a fall but as I'm under 40 it took a long time to get someone to help me...by that time my knee had become unrecognisable and turned into the worst that everyone who saw it had seen. The issue I have now is the damage to the soft tissue...my leg basically doesn't remember how to bend (as it hasn't been close to 90 for 5 years).

Did you have limited movement before? If so it will take longer to improve unfortunately.

If not it may be that you have a build up of scar tissue, there are procedures to help this though so don't panic. I would say if your physiotherapist isn't concerned then you've probably had issues for a while.

Just try to keep going with your exercises, it will improve xx

• Posted

Thank you for your replay.No for the last 3 years my knee has been a mess.I got on the cpm today and my knee hurts tonight hopefully I'm not over doing it..for the last 2 years I've been in so much pain .I work in a hospital on my feet all my shift .prAyers and time I guess...

• Posted

Was nearly 5 months before I had anything near a 90 degree bend on my first TKR. A year later I have a normal range of movement on it. My second TKR was done in May and is still only around 80 degrees but I feel slight improvements so I trust that it will get there just as with the first. Try and be patient and not worry.
  • Posted

As others have reported on this blog we all improve at different rates.  You will see that Tracey was not much better than you at this stage but she has now improved considerably since.  My bend was only 75 degrees at 7 weeks but it is now almost 100 degrees at 4 months.  Riding a bike is a great help but I would also recommend you read Chico Marx in these blogs as his advice on heel slides is excellent.
    • Posted

Yes, everyone is different. Be handy on this thread if they said what range was before op as that must make a difference to state of muscles, ligaments etc. Mine was almost 90 deg with severe OA before and it is about that now after 6 weeks. It does feel totally locked at that whatever I do but it is easier to get it to there. How are people managing to ride a static bike if they don't have 90 deg? With maximum adjustments I cant't bend mine enough to get the pedal over the highest point and it gives me a sharp pain where the tendon joins the knee on the outside.

Dave

• Posted

You still have swelling and unresolved scar tissue for a couple of issues but are still in the infancy States of recovery. I know it feels just days short of a lifetime but as long as there is even the most minor improvement youbarevon the right track. Add a couple of things:

I) increase your hydration. Add several additional BIG glasses of water daily.. Stay away from caffune

2) add a sustantial amount of mgnesium in pill form

3) add several sessions of icing to help keep the swelling down

4) use vit E oil massage into the legs and incision (providing there is no longer and drainage or scanning of the incision.. Warm the oil a little and massage in with your thumbs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.