TKR 9 weeks on...and its hell

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can any one advise!

Doing all exercises 2-3 times a day, walking my small dog 15 minutes a day.

Iceing my knee when all this is done. Can go up the stairs using my bad knee and no stick.

BUT why does my knee get so tights and stiff especially the right hand side of the knee.

Please help, any Ideas.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

This is still really early days.

I had TKR 6 years ago and it tok about a year before I really began to feel the benefits.

Sorry if that sounds a long time to you at the moment but better to be honest and realistic.

Hope you continue to improve.

Sarah

• Posted

Have the same problem after 5 weeks, and saw the Physio by chance on Tuesday and she says it is my ham strings are taught, which is a common problem. She has given me two exercises to do which are helping, until I tripped over yesterday !. Better today thank goodness.
    • Posted

Good luck with your recovery. None of us know these facts before the surgery! I’m shell shocked still! 🙃

• Posted

Wow at 9 weeks I was not doing that well. Maybe you are doing too much. I find that my knee also needs rest and ice. This us a marathon!!
  • Posted

At 9 weeks and your complaining wow!! It took a lot longer before I was able to do what your doing. Lets face it your o only a tad over 2 months out and I am impressed!! The pain will go away but it will go away today next week or next month. Some start feeling better after 6 months some after a year I am at almost 2 years and I still have pretty bad pain. This surgery takes time to heal and really I think your doing great keep it up. Make sure you ice regularly.
  • Posted

Stiffness is so very common early on.  It will be that way until PT breaks down the scar tissue.  This is a MUST to get your ROM back.  These may help at home...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

Typically, stiffness reduces very gradually over time.  By one year, it should be hardly noticeable but could remain a bit for 12-18 months.  TKR veterans of years past warn that it can return if you do not keep the knee active.  Getting back to the gym and rebuilding your dead quads, glutes and core to support the knee will help with the ROM and take pressure off the knee.

• Posted

Susan I suggest you read many of the posts on here at 9 weeks you will be envied by many on here, I am 11 weeks post op and I know from experience that patience is key maybe you are pushing yourself too much your new knee needs to heal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.