TKR ain't no position comfortable enough and burning

Posted , 7 users are following.

It is getting slightly better but one very hard part of this recovery (not mentioning mind-blowing pain) is no position is comfortable. It is maddening!!!

Also my leg is so hyper sensitive. Pj pants touching the skin might as well be sandpaper. Sleeping with ace bandage but cannot keep it on all the time.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Being unable to find a comfortable position is why we're up now. When you find one let us know. For the sensitivity use stretch pants

• Posted

At night for the first few weeks I used a 4 tog quilt which was really really light, it was the only thing I could bear near my leg!  If I was cold I put extra cover over the top half of me.  I struggled to get comfortable in bed but as the bend starts to get better it's a little easier.  Worst for me was sitting as my bend was so poor.  It's now at 80 and I'm getting more comfortable.  I hate anything touching it feels like burning - I'm living in loose jogging pants all the time! Best wishes for your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Jane, I noticed you said your bend is 80. How many weeks are you now? I have been having a hard time with bend. I also still can't get comfortable at night. I still have so mush pain and no longer use pain meds. I am almost 9 weeks and my bend is at 95.

• Posted

I'm eight weeks.  I have hydrotherapy today and although I've been working hard at it I think the bend is still around 80!  There seems to be a fine line between not doing enough exercise and over exercising.  When I get up in the morning it's really stiff and I use my little pedal cycle for ten minutes to get it moving again.  I'm going to get myself to the swimming pool in the next few days and try and get into some sort of routine as I'm just feeling like I need to get back to some sort of normal life!  My knee seems to taken over everything, my thoughts and conversations etc.  Keep going - we will get there!  🙂

• Posted

The pool will do you wonders! I started last week and love it! You will be able to move so much better in the pool. I do as many as my regular exercise as I can in the water, even ones I lay down and do. I just hold onto the side of the pool. My knee is still stiif in the morning and actually any time I sit still. I guess you are right, we will get there eventually!
  • Posted

I can totally relate to the hypersensitivity of the incision. I have been massaging coconut oil at the incision site and it has given me some relief. The more I touch and massage the site the less sensitive it is becoming. I also find it more than a little challenging to find a comfortable position with two exceptions...riding my stationary bike is sheer joy and laying on the floor on my yoga mat stretching and doing a few exercises with a yoga ball and roller are a tremendous relief.

My physical therapist suggested that I use different fabrics to massage my knee-taking care not to irritate the incision. I have been told that we are all different in our healing!

Wishing you well in your healing!

• Posted

It's only 3 weeks since my TKR  but like you at night even the bed covers touching my knee feels so sore. I long to curl up on my side and have a good nights sleep, but I fear this is a long way off sad

• Posted

I felt exactly like you. I am now at eight weeks and starting to be able to bring my knees up into a slightly more comfortable position - it's not perfect but it's better. Hang in there. 

• Posted

I normally sleep on my stomach and find it difficult to fall and stay asleep on my back. The last week I will put a pillow between my knees and sort of lie on my side but 10 min is about all I can stand and I might imagine it, but I feel a little stiff after. I will not take a lovely sleep on my stomach with my one leg pulled up for granted ever! Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.