TKR almost 11 weeks out and so much swelling and pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am a 64 year yung femake and had tkr dec 13th and have had nothing but problems since then, so much swelling and the pain.  Went in for a manuplitation couple of weeks ago, went back to PT and was doing half way decent now knee is so swollen again and the pain is terrible. I do the same exercises at home that I do at Pt but I cant straighen or bend it on account of the swelling, I am so frustrated and cry almost everyday cause I dont know what is wrong. I wish so many times I never had this done. They have talked about doing my other knee and I have already told them there is no way they are touching that knee. I am no longer able to do anything without taking pain pills, heck I cant even sleep all night Iong I wake up crying from the pain. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I do feel for you, i am 50 & had TKR in September and the amount of pain was extreme for weeks afterwards and the swelling/scar tissue also prevented me from getting a good ROM.  In fact after 5 months of getting nowhere and constantly on pain killers,  they did an MUA yesterday, so I’m now back to PT, more pain killers and regular exercising etc.  It already feels better but it is still early days for me.  Have you tried morphine or sleeping tablets at night?  Morphine helped me for a while, there’s nothing worse than no sleep. Hope the pain subsides for you soon. Sharon 

• Posted

Hi, had a complex knee replacement in October, the pain has eased off but still take Tramadol at night to get some sleep. The knee is still swollen and hot the consultant said it should settle down in the next 2 to 3 months. Can't walk because of other issues, driving is painful and I use to cycle every day but I haven't got enough bend in my knee to get back on my bike. The pain does get better but it takes a long time.

• Posted

Hi Verna,

So sorry you are having so much difficulty. It's a frustrating process getting through the swelling and pain. I too had trouble with swelling and still have some at 6 months post op, but the pain is so much better now so much and I can sleep through the night.  It sounds like you are doing what you are suppose to be doing which is good, but I would caution you to listen carefully to your body and don't do so much you make it harder on yourself. Keep working, icing, elevating, and taking meds. Be kind and gentle to yourself this is a very brutal surgery to recover from that takes a LONG time  to recover from. It will get better! I ended up taking 1 pain pill before PT which helped get through that. Also, if you have access to bike stationary that's helpful. I find it helpful even 6 months out. 

There are many who have completed this process on this site or much further along than I am who are very helpful. Don't panic you will be alright. Hang in there you are not alone! 

Best wishes 😘

PS had 4 months of PT and have found success on my own too by doing heelslides, walking, and gym 

• Posted

Oh,so sorry ,to hear you are so upset I just hope that you feel better soon ,it's s long slow progress exercises are the key thing to recovery along with resting and not doing too much all at once ,I too am struggling with bending my knee ,I want to bend it ,but it doesn't seem to want to bend and it's sore when I've done excercising.Don't think that there is an easier way to get through this.

s

• Posted

Remember, the MUA set you back a bit...take your time...THERE IS NO SCHEDULE!!!

Here are some exercises for home that may help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

Ask the doc for Volraten Gel (RX in the US).  GREAT topical anti-inflammatory and pain reliever...especially at bedtime.

These could help for sleep...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

No frustration...no depression...  They screw with your head.  Strength...determination...  The program is time, work and patience...that's it.  Everything else is irrelevant.  At one year, you will be dancing at your knee anniversary party.  

PS: I have another knee to do also.  I'm 2 years post-op and putting it off as long as I can.  Want this one to be a distant memory...

• Posted

Chico I have that gel never even thought of using it. Am put some on now.

Thanks

Verna

• Posted

Hi 

Most have got through what you are experiencing. It horrible.

I posted this before i found really hot baths and icing were my only relief.

Icing using the Aircast ice bucket and knee wrap, this is not cheap but worth it.

Good healing

• Posted

Aircast, CryoCuff...yup those can make a difference.

Ask the doc for Volraten Gel (RX in the US).  GREAT topical anti-inflammatory and pain reliever...especially at bedtime.

• Posted

I purchased an Ideal Stretch, I have the plastic board and use the belt from my housecoat for the slides.  I also just went and purchased a Hybrid Trainer (eliptical and bike combo) i alos wnet and purchased the same cold pack that they use on the knews. 
  • Posted

Hi Verna, I had my TKR in 2014. Karolinska Medical Center, Stockholm, Sweden. I hit the jackpot! Postoperative chronic low  grade infection. Two deep clenings one in Sweden one here in Thailand. The infection persists! Only one option. REVISION. Removal of the infected hardware, IV antibiotics  and 'spacer' and a new implant. Maybe more than two years rehab. No thank you!  Not right now. For the time being I can manage and still work as a motoring editor. I am 68 don't want to retire yet. Walking and standing is painful. Maybe I need a hip replacement, as well.  How do I cope? Daily Tramadol 50 mg/ 25 mg with 500 mg Paracemamol (Tylenol) or excruciating pain. BTW Beware of 'OXYCONTIN' also an opioid doctors like to prescribe. Oxycodone 'Hillbilly Heroin' is not approved by the Thai FDA.  Regarding exercise: I recommend swimming and hot bubble baths. Lose weight! Coffee no sugar! Best of luck Bangkok-Johnny            

• Posted

Hi Johnny ~ you've been through so much! I caution you however to make sure infection gets under control so it doesn't spread to other parts of body!!!!! I understand you not wanting to retire but health must come first. Peace

• Posted

Johnny I am truly praying for you, you have been thru so much. 

Verna

• Posted

Went back to dr yesterday. He changed my pain meds to something hopefully stronger than what I had. Told me to stay off my leg, no standing no walking. Go to pt and do my exercises at home thats it. He aslo stated he may do another MAU on me and possibly more surgery if that is what it will take. Oh I sure hope not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.