TKR am I too young at 55?

Posted , 24 users are following.

Had surgery for torn meniscus in February this year. The consultant who performed the op said I'd am lucky could last 2 years. It's gone from bad to worse. Had Physio and cortisone along with painkillers. Am now reduced to a practical crawl as its so painful to walk. Knee so stiff, aches, clunks, totally ruining my quality of life. GP appt going to refer me back to the consultant but friends have said they won't consider a replacement until I'm at least 60? Does anyone know if this is the case? And are there any alternatives?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 74 replies

74 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Wow, we are the same age with the exact experience. My knee was operated on in April for a torn meniscus and I am 80% worse then before surgery. I too was sent to PT and has 4 injections and I'm miserable and can barely walk. I live on ice and pain meds now and have had to miss a lot of events including my Father's and Mother's 75th birthdays. I am now waiting for my left knee replacement surgery. It will be in October sometime, I'm waiting for the date. I can't wait! Yes, being 55 is young to be having TKR but darn it, this is the age my knee said NO MORE! So I will have the surgery at age 55 because I can not continue to live with this knee much longer. I will live for today and if I live long enough to wear out the Knee Replacement then I will just have to do it all over again, but at least I will have lived life without the pain I'm feeling today. So my BAD KNEE TWIN, all I can say is at 55 we both have a lot more life to live and living with horrible knee pain is not away live at our age. Lets pray for a painless 56th birthday, because we deserve it! So at 55 yrs old, this Lady is saying yes to knee replacement surgery, I'm ready to live life again!!!!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Brenda it's good others from someone whose experiencing the same. Can I ask a few questions?

Are you in the UK? If so how long did your GP wait until they referred you back to consultant? Did you have to push consultant for TKR? How long after your referral have you waited for op?

Many thanks, Debs

• Posted

Hi freestork, sounds like you are pretty set on getting a tkr however can you provide some more into on your symptoms. Does it hurt every time you walk? Things that make it worse. Do you have full motion equal to other side both straight and bent?
    • Posted

Hi Glynn thanks for your reply. It's not that am set on TKR but I feel it's the only option left to me. I can't straighten leg fully nor bend it fully and after sitting it's so stiff. It continually aches I can't walk without a small limp and am finding my right hip which has arthritis is now twinging which I think is due to right leg over compensating for my left. I can't lie in bed without putting my left foot out bed to try and get comfortable and I can't weight bare on it at all. Any advice would be great fully appreciated

Regards

Debs

• Posted

Hya..I had two pkr 2 years a ago.  Not very successful , so have just had tkr 6 weeks ago, and have just had referral through for second on other knee . I  am 57. My consultant said I was young, but made more sense to have it done now whilst I am working and need good knees than wait until. Ime older.
  • Posted

Glucosamine with Chondroitin and MSM prolonged my bilateral knee replacements for 6 years. I was 58 when running stuffed my knees. My sister had her first at 53. Depends on the surgeon and the damage. Best wishes
    • Posted

Hi Lyn, I'm afraid that there is no putting off my news for a TKR, the knee is bone on bone with fractures in the leg bone. How has your and your sister's surgery go and do u have any advice for me on how to control the pain after surgery and what I can do to ensure a good outcome?

• Posted

Hi brenda. There is nothing to do about the pain except medicate yourself. It lasted around 2-3 months for me then it reduced. We're all so different so all I can say is trust your instincts and do what you need to, to enable a good outcome. Research and be in good shape prior. Pool walking daily is good. X

• Posted

I know your pain and if it is interfering with your life then I would say that now is the time. To put off surgery because of age seems WRONG to me. The condition of your knee and your lifestyle should be the concidering factors for surgery. I think we need to live for today because tomorrow is not guaranteed. What ever u feel is right for u is probably right for you. Good luck and God bless!👍

• Posted

Hi

I am 43 and have to have both knees replaced. I am 5 weeks post op from 1st one so no you are not to young at 55 .

Laura x

• Posted

I've seen my GP tonight he is going to refer me for. TKR he says need to have an up to date x ray then to come back to fill out paper work GP said better to do it sooner than later whilst operation still available on NHS said won't be available within the next 5. Years. Anyone any idea of waiting lists on Wirral NHS?

• Posted

Hi there had the same thing happen to me and I was 51!  After 2 years of struggling I had a MRI saw a surgeon and had my 1st full knee replacement this past July. I'm 54 so if it's bad enough (I was bone on bone) they will do it!! I live in Canada. Was a long wait!  Now I'm healing. Ups and downs lots of swelling around my knee, but I know will b better soon 

i need my other one done in the spring

try to get a MRI!  Don't leave it. And don't get partial eventually you will prob need a full why have 2 surgeries on one. That was my option and i chose to have full 

good luck!!

• Posted

Hi there had the same thing happen to me and I was 51!  After 2 years of struggling I had a MRI saw a surgeon and had my 1st full knee replacement this past July. I'm 54 so if it's bad enough (I was bone on bone) they will do it!! I live in Canada. Was a long wait!  Now I'm healing. Ups and downs lots of swelling around my knee, but I know will b better soon 

i need my other one done in the spring

try to get a MRI!  Don't leave it. And don't get partial eventually you will prob need a full why have 2 surgeries on one. That was my option and i chose to have full 

good luck!!

• Posted

To cut a long story short. I'm 59 and doctors have been trying to persuade me to get the tkr done for the last five years. I've finally got it done six months ago......so no you are not too young. Get it done efore you become too handicapped

• Posted

I did this at about aged 56. The only solution was to have a consultation with a Orthapaedic surgeon, he then removed the damaged meniscus by keyhole surgery but when he went in he found the onset of osteoarthritis. So he cleaned that up too. It was afternoon surgery, home in the evening and off work for a few days. This lasted 15 years when the Osteoarthritis returned big time, knee was bone on bone, and resulted in a partial knee replacement (in Nov 2015) to the same knee. Now I'm 72 nearly 1 year post op and feeling brilliant ! Still working driving buses (but not full time).

John

• Posted

Thanks John your situation sounds very similar to mine except I only had my arthroscopy in February and the arthritis is back with revenge. Can't walk more than 5 minutes without being in agony just waiting for referral back to the consultant

Debs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.