TKR and Ice Hockey

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm only 5 weeks out, but wondering if skating again is possible after TKR?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I played hockey (ice and rollerblades) for 45+ years. Four knee scopes...still kept on playing. Then I needed a hip replacement at age 61...30% of the bone was dead. Two weeks later, went for my post-op checkup and asked the doc if I could resume playing. He told me that if I did, I would need another hip in 3 years instead of 25. Sold all my equipment and hung it up.

Same goes for the knee...had it done at age 68. Bone on bone plus arthritis from all the hockey and knee ops. There are major cautions concerning the knee: 1. you can't pound it so running, jogging, singles tennis, etc. are verboten; 2. you can't twist it so playing ANY competitive sport where you have to make quick turns is a major no-no. So say goodbye to hockey, or continue playing and go through this again every 3 years or so. Remember...any revision will not be as tight and secure as the first one.

Finishing on an up note... I really, Really, REALLY want to get on my blades again for a light neighborhood skate...nothing harmful...but I want to lock the knee so it cannot twist...EVER!!! Called DonJoy, the big brace company, and spoke to one of their engineers. He recommended the Defiance Double Hinge model. It was designed to not allow any twisting of the knee. Said it would be suitable for my purpose but he wouldn't risk it in competitive play. So, I'm saving my pennies and trying to get the doc sign off on it so insurance pays the bulk of the cost.

Remember...this is my opinion after all my research so I've made my choice. You will make yours. Good luck...

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. That's kind of what I was afraid of. In fact, between the hockey stops and any manuvering, even skating might be a bad idea.

I quit playing at 40 because the pain of pushing off became too much ( 2 scopes for me). Its been 18 years, so I haven't been doing it for a while....... Maybe I'll take up beach walking...... the view and the smell is soooooo much better.... 😃

• Posted

I can't comment about playing ice hockey, but I have to give you credit that you can even think about it at 5 weeks post op! Best of luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Thanks Colleen..... to be honest, today is the first little setback I've had. I decided to give myself the day off and just ice today. Hopefully, I'll get back on track tomorrow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.