Tkr. And manipulation under anesthesia

Posted , 9 users are following.

i am 6 weeks out from total knee replacement. I am driving and back at work and still in physical therapy.  My range of motion is 105: it kills me if im forced to go past that,  i have gone to112. And swollen  and sore the next day

at 6 wk checkup the dr mentioned MUA. But said i have a windw of  3-6 weeks to decide.  I havent heard alot of positive feedback about this.  Ive heard people lose their rom, and its very painful. is there any  feedback out there with positive results?  Thx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I am at 9 weeks and I am at 100 going to 110 with the PT folks pushing but like you I am swollen and sore for a couple days after that.  

Funny how different doctors have different standards.  I am in the U.S. by the way, and at my six week appt with the surgeon he was ok with my ROM being 100.  I go for my next appt 12 April and I wonder what he will say since I haven't made any progress.  I am thinking I will text his nurse after my next PT appt and see what she thinks he will want to do.  

I know my friend's husband had both knees done and one was text book perfect and the other they went in at 6 months because he didn't have good ROM (0/100) and it didn't really work but I have read comments on this site that they had a positive outcome.  

• Posted

I think you’re doing great! I’m in UK.   I struggled a lot and at 3 months was only 90, 100 if pushed so I did have an MUA at 6 months.  I have got to 120 after another month and able to do more activities now. Personally I would recommend it, pain was minimal for me but I know we are all different. I still have a little swelling but the physio thinks that when this goes down I will be able to get a better bend. Good luck whatever you decide. Sharon 
  • Posted

You are doing great! I could never be working.  Your knee will get better if you are that good already!
  • Posted

Hello,

When I finished 2 months of PT for my Ltkr, I was only 105.  My therapist told me to have patience because as the swelling and tightness reside it will get better...he was right.  Here I am 7 months later and I now have a ROM of 125, no problem.  You can’t hurry the knee, when it’s ready it will let you know.

I just had my right knee done 2 weeks ago, it measured today at 95, at my first PT, not worried, got patience!!

Good luck! Cherry 🍒 

• Posted

cherry,

i am in US in Texas. It may be handled completely different here. My doc was supposed to be a top surgeon  but no. Way as I was in coma as they overdosed me on Caine’s and left me for dead. Then the rehab overdosed me on opioids. Complete nightmare. They don’t care if they kill you. No reason for the problem as I am a health freak in every Seneca with diet etc.

• Posted

Hi Carol,

So sorry for your horrific experience!  I'm not familiar with 'caines', what is that?  I wasn't aware rehab could prescribe meds.  Hope you are on the road to recovery soon!  Keep us updated !

Blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Sounds fine to me...mine was less than that. Really improved around 12 weeks due to swelling reduction.

Are you in UK?

Forcing not recommended in UK, but things vary a lot from country to country, hospital to hospital, professional to professional and patient to patient.

Mine was last measured just by eye at around 120, at 15 weeks post op. It continued to improve over months and I have no idea what it is now but must be easily 130.

There are people who have it done with positive results but it's very early on in your recovery.

Sorry, no personal experience of MUA to offer myself.

• Posted

Hi Jenny

thanks for your response, and thank you to everyone who responded. 

I am in New Jersey, USA.  I had my surgery in Hospital of Special Surgery In NYC.  it's good for me to hear these comments to have patience.  I want to go back to my yoga and pilates classes.  I want to be a whole person again.  I was very active.  and still hope to be.  My PT told me if I keep concentrating on 1 factor,  my ROM, I'm doomed to emotional failure.  Those were his words!!. 

I'm just afraid that I'll be stuck not being able to straighten all the way (which I couldn't do before surgery either),  and will be stuck in this 105-110 range.  I'm going to give it another 4 weeks before I decide anything.  By the way,  my doctor didn't even ask me if I'm driving yet, or back at work.  He's a no nonsense  doctor.  just interested in his surgical skills,  and then I'm on my own.  thankfully I have 2 really great PT's. 

Let's talk about sleeping.  I was recommended to take tylenol pm.  Last night I took it,  I slept for 2 hours and then woke up with so much agitation tossing and turning.  It was so uncomfortable.  , I had to take a valium.  I normally don't use sleep aids, and don't want to.  anyone else having sleep problems and can offer some advice!!

• Posted

Jenkie, My surgeon did say to me that sleep was when most of the healing took place and was concerned I wasn't sleeping enough (since my wound is not healing that fast)   I am one of those unlucky (or some say lucky) people that seems to have a bad reaction to most pain killers (bad nausea).  So bad that for me the nausea was worse than the pain.  So for sleep I have been taking muscle relaxers.  I take one before bed and then if I wake up I take another.  But I would think if a valium works and it doesn't have bad side effects I would continue with that.  What ever helps you sleep.  I go back to see the doctor on the 12th of April so I might talk to him about other alternatives also.

• Posted

Hi,

Sleep?? We’re supposed to be able to sleep??? Just kidding. First five weeks, it was a joke - often 2 to 3 hours per night. Joint care nurse told me I could take 5 mg melatonin and it has helped immensely. Last night I slept six hours straight and man what a difference in my attitude and energy level. Perhaps that would help you too.

Good luck,

Pat

• Posted

You are doing really well so don't worry. In the UK as long as you get to 90 flex & 0 extension it's considered a complete success.

You will defo find the flex will develop as the swelling goes down.

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

“ICE” exersise, aleve. I still have pain but going away. Approx 85 days out for me. Dertermined this time. Keep me posted on your recovery😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.